Deep Litter for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by havi, Apr 18, 2008.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Has anyone done the DLM for chicks? I have 6 chicks that are in a huge brooder/cage. Its really hard to get to the corners so I just dumped the whole bag of shavings(the 1 inch kind) into the cage. Im basically doing the DLM. Is that okay? What should I do?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Not a good idea since the longer poop is in the brooder, the more likely it is to grow microbes, and could make chicks sick.

Adults have had time to build up their immune system, so its ok for adults.

3. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I do this, but I change the shavings once a week. I put in about 4-5 inches of shavings and stir it up twice a day. It works great for us, we have no smell at all and I have 16 in there.

4. pasofinofarm

pasofinofarm NONESUCH FARM CONROE TX

Mar 22, 2007
    Near Houston, TX
    We start out with a thin layer of litter as it gets dirty we add chips.. when it gets too thick we scoop it all out and start over. The hardest thing is keeping it out of the waterers when it is thick.

5. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I use this method with my baby chicks, even my 4 day old rooster. I tried paper towels but he just slide around. I stir the wood shavings up in the morning and at night and change them once a week.

6. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    For mine, I use a combination of paper towels and about 4" of litter. I stir it up on a regular basis. I've had the chicks one week. I plan to dump all the litter tomorrow and put in fresh. I like using the paper towels in the primary area because it is so easy to clean. I put 3 half sheets in the main area and 1 half sheet under their food. I have their water dish sitting on a brick, paper towel over the brick (learned that the hard way). I change out their water twice a day (before I leave for work and then after I get home).

So far, this seems to be working for me. I will probably have to start changing out the whole brooder several times a week as the chicks are growing up fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by