Deep Litter got wet from rain....do I have to start over?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mamichi, May 14, 2009.

1. mamichi

mamichi Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    Hi all,

It rained before we finished with the roofing of the coop and now a lot of the pine shavings are soaked wet. Will it dry out eventually if I keep turning it? Or do I need to start over? (we had started the deep litter method)

We will definitely get the leaky roof taken care of this weekend!

TIA,
    M

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I would take it out. If it sours and molds it can cause the chicks to get sick , maybe you too. Jean

3. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Yeah, I'd take it out too. Luckily, shavings aren't too expensive.

4. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    What about using some of the stall dry stuff you can get from TSC? There was a thread about it not too long ago.

5. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    I plan to take the windows out of my coop when the weather allows. (They're also covered with hardware cloth.) Undoubtedly, some rain will blow in and get the deep litter pine shavings wet. Will this be a problem?

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Take out the soaked stuff, and either compost it, or put it in the run if it's compatible with your run footing, or spread it somewhere to dry out REALLY THOROUGHLY WITH SEVERAL TURNINGS (after which drying you can reuse it in the coop).

If coop litter just gets slightly wet on the surface from a brief rain blowing through part of a window, it is not usually a problem as long as you have lotsa ventilation. If some gets really soggy or you have humidity/ventilation problems to begin with, you can skim off the damp layer and treat as above -- blown-in rain doesn't normally wet things too far down into the litter.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    I would definitely clean it out. My husband didn't clean one of his brooders out quickly enough after it rained it in a little. There were 7 chicks in it (about 4 weeks old) and all but one died, even after he moved them out completely.

8. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Get the wet stuff out. Very nasty after it heats up, decomposes, GERMY & SMELLY. Much nicer for you and your birds to have dry bedding.

9. mamichi

mamichi Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    Thanks everyone for responses. Unfortunately the real bad news here is that my husband finished the roof, but we've discovered with the heavy rain we've had recently that the water is entering underneath the coop! We built the coop on top of concrete slab that was originally a car port. This is really bad news, as we are going to have to build a raised floor in order to solve the problem. I say bad news b/c we're always short on time [​IMG]

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Would it be possible to roof over the remainder of the slab? Because, unless ground water is flooding up over the slab like a lake, that'd be another way to solve your problem. Just call it a roofed or part-roofed run.

Good luck and commiseration on your problem,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by