1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deep litter help please!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by brothers, Jan 17, 2014.

1. brothers

brothers Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    I have a quick question for ya's.We are doing a deep litter system in our coop.Pine shavings and leaves.Was working great for months.Then it got cold and snow covered all of the leaves outside so we have only been adding pine shavings.I turn the compacted litter quite often.The last 5 days or so it has been warm enough to finally give them access to their pen.Unfortunately the bedding is now pretty damp and the ammonia smell takes my breath away.I know I have to do something.I have a barn that is FULL of old hay.Like 20 years old.Would it be ok to mix some into the deep litter?Would if be best to take the litter out and fill 'er back up with the hay?Or maybe I shouldnt use the hay at all?
    Getting to the farm store to get fresh shavings isnt a option for at least 2 weeks.
    thanks.

2. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    i use a hay i my coops some time i also use the deep liter method i was just pack that hay down in there it ok if its old hay or new i use my old hay you can do the hay i will work just as good as the shavings

3. brothers

Nov 2, 2013
    Thanks for your reply!
    Anyone else care to chime in? Should I be worried about mold or any other issues from useing 20 y/o hay in the coop.

Thanks again

4. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    i dont think the mold will hurt them i had some on my hay that was bout 5 years old and i used it in the coop its ok for chickens but i would not give it to ducks

5. Smithyard Farm

Smithyard Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Pembroke NH
    I think the old hay would be fine...maybe fluff" it up before putting in there.. I don't turn mine very much...maybe once a month?? just before adding more shavings.... either I have stopped noticing - or it doesn't really smell....

6. brothers

Nov 2, 2013
    I called a few other folks I know with barns and one of them gave me 2 bails of dry hay and bags of wood shavings! So I shoveled out about 3/4 of the stinky damp litter and added a bail of hay and 1/2 a bail of pine shavings.The smell instantly vanished!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the help...Everyone Happy! Happy! again.

7. Smithyard Farm

Smithyard Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Pembroke NH
    they look very happy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by