1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deep Litter Method AND DE dustbath- YES OR NO?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by acmeeggs, Nov 5, 2013.

1. acmeeggs

acmeeggs New Egg

Jul 5, 2013
    Mansfield, NY
    hi all, I am planning on trying the deep litter method this winter, and I now use a litter pan full of DE for my birds to dust bathe. the way I understand it, DE and deep litter don't mix. should I be concerned about the amount of DE that will get into the coop from the dust bathing?
    if so, what would you recommend as a substitute ingredient for dust bathing?

thanks in advance!

2. RanchGirl13

RanchGirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens like sand for dust baths

3. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    Why do you want to use DE as a dust bath? Are you having problems with mites?

I would not use straight DE as a dust bath. Some sand or dirt with a little bit of DE spread on the top should do. No, DE and deep litter don't mix. But, if your just using a small bit of it in the dust bath, you should be okay.

Also, a good deep litter in on a dirt floor, and I would think that you would not need to provide a seperate dust bath unless you are having an issue that warrents the use of DE.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    There's no reason why you can't have DE in Deep Litter
    It's nothing but finely powdered rock
    It does seem excessive to have nothing BUT DE in a dust bath

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    DE is a waste of money. Chickens have done quite well for thousands of years without it. The chickens will take a "dust bath" right in the deep liter. They will "dust bathe" in whatever is available. Amazing how chickens do well without us "interfering".

6. nicole63021

nicole63021 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not to hijack, but I am also planning deep litter, and my question has to do with using PDZ? How much should be used for the best effect without it being too much? I use granules, not powder, as I also use a small amount of DE for the chickies (mostly used in the garden).

7. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    If you’re going about it in the right way, and practicing proper manure management, your DL should not need any additional aliments. It will not smell, so no PDZ needed.

2 people like this.
  8. nicole63021

nicole63021 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm....interesting, I thought of it mostly as I am a first time chicken keeper in the suburbs. I have heard from others in the area that it greatly helps with odor, especially in the summer. I have been debating a poop board addition with PDZ on it under the roosts, but hoped deep litter would solve the smell and give the space under and around the roosts to the girls in case of bad weather. Have allowed in my coop for 10 inches so of bedding, would more be needed? We have active compost bins to handle manure and bedding along with leaves and scraps, would this be enough?

9. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    yogifink is correct. If doing the deep liter method properly, you'll have little to no odor from the floor. But, if you are using a poop board too, you can get smells from that, so some Sweet PDZ there will help. I have pans under my poop board with about an inch of Sweet PDZ in each. I use a cat liter scoop and clean out the PDZ every week.

10. Brahmama

Brahmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    St. Louis
    Is there a benefit to deep litter over sand? And how deep are we talking? Newbie here. Hi Nicole!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by