Deep Litter method in barn on concrete floor? Yes? No?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickyLoo, Sep 27, 2011.

1. ChickyLoo

ChickyLoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    My search is not giving me the information I need so I'm putting it out there. If this has been asked before I apologize [​IMG] We are starting a new flock and they will be in the barn at night and roaming outdoors during the day. After losing our entire flock a month ago we decided to move the coop indoors. Can anyone confirm how DLM is done on a concrete floor indoors? I thought I had read it can be done but can't find the thread. Do you put down DE & then a layer of of shavings and add leaves etc... indoors or would that cause nasty bugs to flourish in the barn? Should we stick to shavings only since it's indoors??

Any help from you experienced DLM folks is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance my GL wynadottes thank you [​IMG]

2. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I tried this last year and when I cleaned it out I had a bit of liquid on the bottom. Not sure if that was because I did things wrong or because we had a bit of wetness go through the barn (it will flood if we get too much water).

I am still using straw since it is the right money- free! And attempting to do deep litter again this winter. Good luck!

3. ChickyLoo

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for your input! As far as I can tell our barn stays nice and dry but I thought some moisture is required for it to work properly? This is where I get confuzzled because outside there is more moisture from the ground to keep things in balance? Hopefully more will chime in thnx in advance [​IMG]

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I thought some moisture is required for it to work properly

You don't want any moisture IN the coop.

Moisture is required to make compost, but that's AFTER it's removed from the coop.

Just put down a thck layer of shavings and don't worry too much about it.

There is no "right" or "wrong " way to do it.

It's just litter on the floor​

5. ChickyLoo

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:You don't want any moisture IN the coop.

Moisture is required to make compost, but that's AFTER it's removed from the coop.

Just put down a thck layer of shavings and don't worry too much about it.

There is no "right" or "wrong " way to do it.

It's just litter on the floor

Well when you put it in layman's term so eloquently I guess I won't worry then [​IMG] Would it be asking for trouble to bring in leaves, grass clippings etc. from outside? I know with outdoor DLM adding these things is a good thing.

Thanks!

6. ChickyLoo

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    What about DE? Is it beneficial indoors as well?

7. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    I sprinkle DE in my coop from time to time, especially before putting down another layer of shavings. Helps dry up the poo into hard "bits" so that they're less smelly and work down through the shavings more easily.

8. ChickyLoo

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Is your coop indoors? [​IMG]

Can anyone advise is ag lime safe to use in an indoor coop?

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Can anyone advise is ag lime safe to use in an indoor coop?

Yes it's safe
    Make sure it's Calcium Carbonate and NOT Calcium Hydroxide

It will be on the bag or label

Dry leaves and grass are OK, but pine shavings are more absorbant and help more with odors

Is your coop indoors?

Coop= Indoors

RUN= Outdoors

There's no advantage to litter in a run since it will just hold moisture and get moldy​

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  10. ChickyLoo

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Yes it's safe
    Make sure it's Calcium Carbonate and NOT Calcium Hydroxide

It will be on the bag or label

Dry leaves and grass are OK, but pine shavings are more absorbant and help more with odors

Is your coop indoors?

Coop= Indoors

RUN= Outdoors

There's no advantage to litter in a run since it will just hold moisture and get moldy​

Oh I understand the difference between a coop & a run [​IMG] our coops have been little structures OUTside, this is the first time we are sectioning off part of the barn so they will be completely inside on a concrete floor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by