Deep Litter Method & NPIP?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JodiLynn, Nov 28, 2012.

1. JodiLynn

JodiLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2012
    Is anyone out there that is NPIP and uses the Deep Litter Method? I have my initial farm inspection in December and I am trying different types of bedding. I loved sand for the summer but it is cold for the winter. I have my 4 coops in a totally enclosed modified horse barn. I worry about the bacteria and such with the deep litter method but my stay completly dry because they are indoors. The chickens have runs that come off the barn on the outside for outdoor time. Any suggestions on this? I do have a call into my avian vet but thought the wonderful people on here might have a say as well!

2. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    Ok so I am going to try the deep littler method after all. I clean my coops daily as of right now and with 85 chickens and growing this is taking several hours a day! I have sand down and I am headed to get some chopped hay. Any advice, suggestions?

3. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    I am not commercially certified but i use deep litter. But then, my chickens are free range except at night. With deep litter you are basically allowing things to decompose natually with beneficial bacteria, which actually prevent bad bacteria,parasites, etc from growing. I will occasionally mix a spot with heavy droppings into the mix, and take some out for my garden. It doesn't smell bad at all, and the surface is actually dry. I can't imagine cleaning the coop out on a regimented basis...too much work...just research it further and see if it works for you...there is alot of great info in some of te threads. Good luck!

4. Achickenwrangler#1

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    Oh, one more thing, you want to use straw, woodchips, dry stuff. I find that green hay, if too thick, will mold when wet, and doesn't dry out well inside the coop. You really need good ventilation in any coop.

5. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    Thanks! We have good ventilation and main huge sliding doors that stay open all day so air flows through breezeway. I found lots of helpful info and already have my bedding down. Thanks for the info on the hay though, now I know not to use that! All of my big chickens free range during the day as well. We do have lots of younger chicks (4 weeks old) that are in the nursery coops during the day but they to seem to like scratching around in the new in the new bedding. Over the course of the next couple of months though they will get runs. Thanks again!

6. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I am Npip and I use deep litter method in a few of my coops. I use wood chips and they work the best by far to straw and hay. They set up the poop and keep a fresh smell in the coop for a while.

Nate

7. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    Great! Im glad to hear that it makes me feel better about the inspection. I have no idea what to expect. My avian vet also thought it was a good idea.

8. Achickenwrangler#1

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    Good luck on the inspection, that has to be a bit nerve wracking, even when you know you're ready.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by