1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deep Litter method over a vinyl floor? Other advise on bedding/clean

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Karen 2739, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Karen 2739

Karen 2739 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    San Diego
    :heIs it possible to use the deep litter method over a vinyl coop floor? If I can't how often should I completely change the bedding? I have been racking it weekly and removing the majority under the roosts. I have not smelled amonia, but I don't like the smell, I am sure you know what I mean. I am confused as I have read several books that say not to clean it too often as it could be detrimental. Any advice?

2. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    that is my method - deep litter over vinyl - works well so far.

I just cleaned mine out entirely for the first time in 3 months - other than that I had been cleaning the poop board on a daily basis.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I just rake mine in the morning when I let the chickens out.

It doesn't smell and I have about 6 inches of shavings (over a painted floor).

When I first added the shavings, I also sprinkled a little DE and Sweet PDZ and mixed it all in.

Just make sure it is absolutely dry.

Also the size of your coop, ventilation, and number of birds could be a factor if you can smell an odor.

I have 23 chickens in an 8x12 coop with windows (covered in wire) on 3 sides that I leave open (unless it's raining).

I also have the rafter eaves left open for extra ventilation.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by