Deep Litter Method Smell

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Roy Rooster, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi All, [​IMG]

I am new to the DLM I have been doing DLM for about 5 weeks now.

I have noticed a smell that is coming from the deep litter in my coop.
    It is kind of an earthy smell with a hint of musk.

I am not sure if this is normal of just the smell of the natural composting that is taking place in the coop.

I have a elevated coop with a solid wood floor.

Just want to make sure that everything is okay or if I need to do something. [​IMG]

Thanks in Advance.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    What type of bedding are you using? Pine shavings?

You should not have a strong "offensive" smell.

Do you rake up the bedding or allow the chickens to scratch through it?

I would check out the source of the smell; make sure that area is DRY.

Sometimes water bottles can secretly leak and you never know till you dig up the litter.

[​IMG]

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I have a strong offensive smell in the morning before they mix it up.. Is that normal?

Man.. Morning smells something fierce! After I let them out, and they go back in and mix up to composting DL, it smells like nothing at all.

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yeah, the mornings can be the worse since all night long they've been pooing.

I like to rake mine in the morning with a metal rake. The shavings will absorb the moisture in the pooh which causes the smell to go away.

Some people just throw bread crumbles on the floor and allow the chickens to rake up the litter.

I add more shavings whenever necessary (very rarely) and I add some DE or PDZ to the shavings about once/month.

[​IMG]

5. justinsmom

justinsmom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:Yea great idea I just throw them some scratch and they do there job mixing it up

6. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Quote:I am using pine shavings. The smell is strongest in the morning when I let them out. After I got back
    later it is much better I do put some scratch in the coop in the morning to encourage them to turn the bedding or what I call
    make up their beds for me.

It is NOT an offensive smell just smells kind of earthy, sort of like dirt or mulch.

What should I do? add more shavings, add lime, add DE? [​IMG]

Thanks

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Dirt or mulch smell is perfect...unless it smells moldy like in a cellar or basement. Sounds like you are doing something right. Ammonia smell~bad, earthy smell~good.

8. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Quote:Ok, thanks. If it would ever smell moldy what is best thing to do?

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Make sure you have good ventilation....if you are molding, you may not have enough. Also, keep that bedding fluffed and keep adding dry to absorb extra moisture. Avoid overly damp bedding at all costs. If you can't seem to achieve the right moisture content in your bedding, some people use Stall Dry.

I always throw a handful of BOSS in the bedding in the mornings so that the birds will fluff the previous night's offerings into the bedding. They do this soooooo much better than we can and it gives them something to do.

10. JMidJr

JMidJr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    North Central Florida
    Okay, too new to know all the acronyms and jargon; I'm guessing DE= diatomecous earth. What is PDZ? First chickens will gO into new coop in days and I'll be using deep litter; gotta have all the necessary "stuff" on hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by