Deep Litter Method- Staying Organic??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Xival Knievel, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Xival Knievel

Xival Knievel Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I am considering trying out the deep litter method after reading about it on this site. I am curious about the food grade DE- as it is supposed to help control some pests, etc. I didn't know if there is something in it that I should be concerned about? I see obviously that it is food grade (but look at what we put in our bodies sometimes! [​IMG]) but I can't help but wonder if it contains harsh components or something. Ideally I would like to keep things organic as much as possible. Thanks for the help! I am also open to any other suggestions- just trying to figure out what is the best way to keep down smell and flies and keep things reasonably clean.

2. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Food grade DE is absolutely safe to use. If YOU have any respiratory problems you will want to wear a paper mask to filter the dust. Other than that you should be okay. Some people mix it with water or some other food and drink/eat it, myself included. Is that safe enough for you lol. Check out www.freshwaterorganics.com and click on the DE site there. Tells you everything you need to know!

3. Xival Knievel

Xival Knievel Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Thank you! [​IMG]

4. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for the link!

I learn so much here [​IMG]

5. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I was having an awful time with flies in the coop. This, unfortunately, right when I was getting ready to leave town for 8 days. So, I put down several inches of straw and pine shavings, mixed with DE. I was shocked how clean it all looked when I returned home tonight. Yeah, there's poo and I will have to clean it up, somewhat, tomorrow. However, the coop did not smell bad at all AND no flies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by