Deep litter method

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by irmad, Aug 4, 2013.

1. irmad

irmad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    UK
    I just started the deep litter method using chopped hemp... I wanted to know if I should ad DE powder to my bed... I know it's good for the chickens but I wanted to compost the bedding. Would the DE destroy the good microbes and effect the process of composting?

Also, should I poop pick everyday considering I'm going to use the bedding for composting purposes?:rolleyes:

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    The hemp will probably compost better with the poop already in it. With deep litter, it is turned from time to time to allow the poop to dry and decompose somewhat. Litter is added from time to time, and the turning continues until there is too much poop and the litter is removed and replaced. The soiled litter would ordinarily go into the compost bin.

Diatomaceous earth kills insects by lacerating the exoskeleton which does not heal, resulting in the desiccation of the insect. It doesn't harm bacteria and other creatures.

Chris

3. irmad

irmad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    UK
    Cheers chris.... now I can add DE.... De os quite expensive here in UK. Do you know of any alternatives that I can use in my bedding..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by