Deep Litter Method

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by andknor, Aug 28, 2013.

1. andknor

andknor New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    Missouri
    I would like to try the DLM with my chickens, but have heard conflicting views on the use of diatomaceous earth. I have read the DE kills the beneficial microbes that decompose the manure. Anyone experienced with DLM using DE or not and why? Thanks!

2. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    I don't use DE, mostly because I didnt really need it. I just leave it all as it is, add straw of shavings periodically, and clean the coops out when it kind of says, clean me. Scientific, no, but it seems to work. My DLM coops don't smell. The ones I have clean a lot kind of do.

I can't see how DE kills microbes, as DE is much, much bigger than a microbe, but it could certainly set up an environment that is not favorable to microbial growth and that would kill beneficial microbes.

I have used PDZ to dry out stalls and barns and coops with no issues, but I don't use it very often.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Diatomaceous earth kills insects by dessicating them. It won't bother something without an exoskeleton unless ingested. Microbes and bacteria are too small to be affected by DE.

The DE that goes into my coop's litter goes into the compost heap without ill effect.

Chris

4. andknor

andknor New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    Missouri
    Thank you both for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by