1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deep litter method

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by adkchickens, Nov 15, 2013.

1. adkchickens

adkchickens New Egg

Nov 14, 2013
    Reading the posts on the deep litter method I see some add DE to the litter. Stupid question but what is DE?
    Thanks

2. Messipaw

Messipaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) is used for many different reasons. Mainly to kill bugs by cracking and drying out their shells. It is an aid in keeping mites and lice at bay buy dusting your chickens and coop with it. You can also add it to the areas where your chickens dust bathe. I also add mine to their food to help keep it dry. It's ok for the chickens to ingest as long as it's Food Grade.
    In my coop and run I sprinkle it around and rake it thru to help break down the poop. It's controls odor and flies as well. It's great in the winter sprinkled on poop in a well ventilated coop because it keeps the poop dry which aids in controlling the humidity.
    Hope this helps.

3. adkchickens

adkchickens New Egg

Nov 14, 2013
    Thank you very much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by