1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deep Litter Method

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicks Galore3, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I've been doing the DLM for about 5 months. I am a little confused. I've seen people say that you need to clean the coop often to keep in clean/keep lice/mites down and to keep ammonia build up down. But, with the DLM, you don't clean it often at all!!! How does this work?

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    The DL method is a compost pile inside of your coop. If you are doing it right then you are stirring it often (most people have their chickens do it naturally) and adding extra bedding as needed. This breaks up and decomposes the droppings. Without the DL method the coop needs to be cleaned often because the poop is just piling up like an over full kitty litter box. It makes a cake of poo and is unhealthy for the chickens because of the filth they are laying and walking in. It won't decompose because there is not enough natural material in there and it won't get stirred. Hope this helps.

3. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    OOOOOH it makes sense now :) Yup, I have my chickens stir it everyday. :) Scratch is a great motivation. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by