Deep litter question

Hi everyone, my question is about the deep litter method. Our enclosed run is dirt floor with layers of organic material, mostly pine shavings and grass. The chickens turn it all over daily as they scratch. Other than add a fresh thin layer once a week or two, I have not done much else. It does not smell. We started this back at the end of May. Should we prepare to do anything anytime soon or just continue to add layers and let the process happen? So far, it has been extremely low maintenance. Thank you

Attachments

• 20200824_190252.jpg
    20200824_190252.jpg
    991.3 KB · Views: 39
Hi there. Unless you think it's getting too high in the run, I wouldn't change anything. Eventually you may need to clear some out but until you feel like you do, you don't. As long as it doesn't smell or draw flies you're good.

Hi - I’m new to the DLM too. It’s been very warm but very dry here in N. WI so I put my hose on “shower” and wet the coop and run down - I read somewhere that some moisture is needed to get the compost active. Coop still smells good.

In other words, it looks like it's going great! Good job!

Not only that, but whatever you do take out will be great on a compost pile or garden, or mulch under plants.

And I really like the roost you have in there. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom