Deep litter question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by animalover, Aug 14, 2010.

1. animalover

animalover Chirping

Jul 30, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA
    Where do you get the pine shavings? The pet stores have Aspen litter - is that similar?

2. 4boysmom

4boysmom Songster

Jun 12, 2007
    Aspen has a strong scent. I get my pine shavings at the farm supply store.

3. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Songster

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    you can get it from farm store, or at walmart maybe kmart
    laura

4. @~rosecityfarmgirl~@

@[email protected] Chirping

Jul 17, 2010
    Windsor
    Same! Look up feed warehouses in your area, farm supplies, and bulk pet suppliers [​IMG]

5. animalover

animalover Chirping

Jul 30, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks. I'll check Agway or Tractor Supply.

6. dee88

dee88 Chirping

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas
    I get mine @ Case Tractor Supply for 3.99 a bag.

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Crowing

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Aspen is fine to use. It's cedar that's a problem, because of the volatile oils in it. Most places that carry chicken feed also carry the large bales of pine.

8. UrbanChick101

UrbanChick101 Chirping

Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    I was just at Theisen's today. They sell really big brick bags of it for about $6.00 I think (my memory is not working with me tonight) Farm & Fleet's would be good to check as would any farm store. Our Tractor Supply seems to be higher than the other farm type stores.

9. TheBarnSwallow

TheBarnSwallow [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Lit

I know alot of people could give reasons not to use hay.. but we have been using hay and add to the coop every 2 weeks or often as needed and we clean out our coop from the DLM every 6 months and can you say happy garden mulch.. ha ha

I was always afraid to use the pine for the scent being to strong for my kids noses and what not but I believe you can find them at a Local Atwoods if you have those stores where you are located.. sometimes walmart carries them but in the small bales near the small pet section... not sure of pricing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by