Deep litter questions, sweet pdz

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mpghm, May 1, 2016.

1. mpghm

mpghm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2014
    Vancouver, BC
    I just started a coop, hoping to use deep litter method with mixed wood shavings. How long does it take to get the biological processes going? Can I speed it up somehow?

The litter is quite dry, but there is a little bit of ammonium smell already, can i use some sweet pdz / stall dry or would that interfere with the biological process?

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    How long ago did you start? I noticed when I added my first hens a strong ammonia smell after a couple days. I was getting worried thinking it would only get worse. After only a couple days the smell went away. Now about every three weeks I add a trash bag of dried leaves. They love scratching in those and the the coop has an earthy smell, no ammonia or manure smells.

3. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    I've relatively recently moved away from wood shavings and towards wood chips (+ dried leaves + dried pine needles + dried grass clippings +miscellaneous organic waste from the garden, etc) and find that it composts much quicker than pine shavings and I never notice any odors other than an earthy compost/soil smell. I still use shavings in my brooder(s) because one bag usually lasts me from hatch until they movie into the coop. During winter months I may add some shavings again, or straw if I find that I need something with more mass, but I expect that the composting organic bedding will suffice.

I've never used sweet pdz because I've never had an issue with composting even when I used shavings. I have a mostly open air coop so the bulk ventilation is probably the primary aid in the process.

4. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

It should start composting in short if conditions are right, you can give it a jump start by tossing in a shovel full of compost out of functional compost heap or even a shovel full of 'fertile' soil... Also when you do change it out always leave some of the old behind so that you automatically get the boost...

5. mpghm

mpghm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2014
    Vancouver, BC
    It's less than two weeks old - I'll toss in some compost and some dry grass clippings and leaves and see how it goes.

Still interested in opinions about the pdz, I've searched and not found any clear answers.

6. JaysGirl

JaysGirl Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    Small town NC
    This is what I'm using in my brooder and plan to use in my coop. It says that the sweet pdz is good for your compost so I'm assuming it wouldn't affect the DLM, but I'm new at this so we'll see!:phttp://www.koopclean.com/home-4/

7. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    mpghm, how is the smell in your coop now?

Does your coop have a dirt floor or is it a raised floor?

Thanks!
    Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by