Deep litter run/coop, East Texas rain, garden lime

mgharris30

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
East Texas
I’m doing DLM in my run (DBM in coop). I’m using pine from TSC because that’s what I have access to. I think I’m allergic to DE (contact dermatitis). We have 6 inches of bedding at the high spots and zero inches where the ladies dig when they are hot.
After this last rain, I turned the bedding (harder to do than previously). The lower bedding was wet, so I sprinkled garden lime and scratch. I also had a conversation with my ladies about doing their part in turning this after a rain so we don’t get as many flies.
Am I doing this right?? I hesitate to add more bedding because it’s so hot.
Coop= 5x11
Run= 18x18
14 total birds
5 laying
2 teens
7 chicks— one is male
987BA9AA-301F-40DF-8687-6E116EE9D0CD.jpeg

Is the size you gave for the coop or for the run? It looks like an Open Air setup in the photo -- where the usual guidelines of 4 square feet in the coop and 10 square feet in the run don't quite apply in the normal way.

Generous litter in the run is fine in the heat -- it actually protects the ground from the heat of the sun and preserves a cool layer for the chickens to dig down to.

I encourage my chickens to turn their bedding/litter by sprinkling some scratch around in areas that look neglected. It's the only way they ever get scratch -- working for their treat. ;)

Is the size you gave for the coop or for the run? It looks like an Open Air setup in the photo -- where the usual guidelines of 4 square feet in the coop and 10 square feet in the run don't quite apply in the normal way.

Generous litter in the run is fine in the heat -- it actually protects the ground from the heat of the sun and preserves a cool layer for the chickens to dig down to.

I encourage my chickens to turn their bedding/litter by sprinkling some scratch around in areas that look neglected. It's the only way they ever get scratch -- working for their treat. ;)
Coop is 5x11– three sided, 4th side is hardware cloth
Run is 18x18 open air with shade cloth. I added a small regular blue tarp as temporary fix after a storm.
Do I have enough room?
Thank you for your other answers. 😀

Coop is 5x11– three sided, 4th side is hardware cloth
Run is 18x18 open air with shade cloth. I added a small regular blue tarp as temporary fix after a storm.
Do I have enough room?
Thank you for your other answers. 😀

Yes, plenty of room, especially in that generous run.

I love an open air coop with all that glorious ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom