Deep litter run over concrete floor

Asperl

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
Is it possible to set up deep litter run over a concrete floor? if so could I have some of the best practices that members have exploited / photos shared here plz.
Hoping to have a closed enclosure with couple of omlet coops for three chicks to start with. My main motivation is to minimize the time/effort spend day in day out to clean the coop/run.

How to deal with mites, bugs and any other related issues?
The total area of the run is around 7 x 5 meters.

Posting your approximate location will help here, and you plan to have three chickens total?
Will your run be roofed, or covered with netting? Drainage is most important; make sure that water won't pool in the run first.
We have a concrete base, although it's old and cracked, not new and wonderful. Even so, it helps keep out predators, a very good thing.
For years our run only had chicken wire as a roof, so rain, snow, and ice were miserable to deal with. Especially snow, which chickens just hate!
Now our run has a solid roof, wonderful!
Either way, shavings and wood chips (not black walnut) work great, along with some hay, weeds, dry leaves or grass clippings, whatever you have. Over time it will need to be shoveled out and refreshed, because it's not going to melt into the soil below. We clean ours out maybe three times each year, adding new bedding on top of old in between times.
Mary

Thanks Mary. I am in Essex, UK. Will increase the number of chicks to around 10 gradually.
Hoping to have roof sheets for rain but will have the netting on sides - will this cause too much of an issue with wind and rain.
How about the odour - I guess one trigger to initiate cleaning is the odour.
And another trigger could be infestation.

How do you deal with these two factors?

Build for your conditions, and for predator protection. Everyone loves chicken! Weasels, and rats can get into small openings, so at least nothing larger than 2cm diameter, and then foxes,, do you have badgers, and big dogs are all possible visitors. Raptors too.
Mites and lice come in on wild birds, so if your chickens get outside, or wild birds can get into their area, theses nasty parasites can turn up. Then, cleaning it out would be best, and treating the birds, coops, and run.
Standing water will make a mess and need cleanout too. That's why good drainage is so important!
If you are doing a solid roof, wide overhangs help a lot.
We also have a small run area, and in winter sheet vinyl is attached at least to the windward sides as protection from cold winds.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom