Deep litter too dry?

May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
Switched out sand in the run to give deep litter a shot. I live in the PNW and it’s been super rainy this year, so I have shower curtains lining the run with just some spots clear for ventilation. (I do keep the run open all day on nice days too.)

My concern is that with a small flock (6 hens who don’t stay in all day every day) that they won’t poop enough to keep the moisture balance right for deep litter to work. Should I be doing anything more for increased moisture?

image.jpg

You can always add poop from the coop when you clean it but I created some amazing compost accidentally just in a little run the chickens pass through on their way from the coop to the field. There is always enough poop
I've been doing this actually! I'm not doing deep litter in the coop right now since we have some floor sleepers (silkies) and just prefer to keep that a thick layer of dry material.

I chuckled at this sentence: "There is always enough poop"

Too dry is fine - it will simply compost slower, and require less replacement.

You would be surprised how much moisture deep litter will pull from the air.

That said, when it is time to shovel it out - WEAR A MASK.

I use deep bedding on top of concrete board, rake it out periodically to join the deep litter. It gets VERY dry/dusty when we've had no rain for 10+ days.

I have to add to mine quarterly, replace it (or what's left of it) twice yearly. The small coop takes about 2 cu yd worth of leaf litter - 10 or 11 heaping gorilla cart loads worth.

My Open Air coop is so well sheltered that I've ended up dumping out the waterer into different parts of the litter every time I change it -- a technique I'd read about on an article here somewhere.

Definitely!
^^^ THAT is a great idea. I should have sprayed mine down.

Funny story. I have TERRIBLE soil. We built raised beds, filled them with at least 2 cu yd of commercial garden soil, 2 cu ft at a time, after tilling to a depth of more than a foot. I can't tell you how much money I have effectively buried in the ground, trying to improve the garden.

Earlier this week, I did a change out on the raised coop, combining what was left there with what the rains had washed into the depression I use to direct water in the run. Turned it all together (SHOULD HAVE USED A MASK!) and carted it around to top dress the beds witht he winter plantings.

My wife took one look at it and was "Where did you buy that?? Get some more of it." I tried to hand her the shovel. She was NOT amused.

Had to move more of it yesterday, so I could close the coop door against our North wind and first freeze of the season. I should take pictures of what 18 months of decomposing deep litter + goat pellets looks like.

^^^ THAT is a great idea. I should have sprayed mine down.

Funny story. I have TERRIBLE soil. We built raised beds, filled them with at least 2 cu yd of commercial garden soil, 2 cu ft at a time, after tilling to a depth of more than a foot. I can't tell you how much money I have effectively buried in the ground, trying to improve the garden.

Earlier this week, I did a change out on the raised coop, combining what was left there with what the rains had washed into the depression I use to direct water in the run. Turned it all together (SHOULD HAVE USED A MASK!) and carted it around to top dress the beds witht he winter plantings.

My wife took one look at it and was "Where did you buy that?? Get some more of it." I tried to hand her the shovel. She was NOT amused.

Had to move more of it yesterday, so I could close the coop door against our North wind and first freeze of the season. I should take pictures of what 18 months of decomposing deep litter + goat pellets looks like.

I am so looking forward to that!

I'm trying to figure out how to budget another electric net kit so I can park the brooder/coop and the grow-out males on the garden for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom