Deep litter + Water ?!

I like to think of deep litter as being a bit like a disposable diaper and serving the same purpose. It is not, in my opinion, a hot composting process. More like a cold rot. In general, the less moisture you introduce into your house the better.

We have a dirt floor and we get about 35 to 40 inches of precipitation each year, so we get more than enough moisture working up from the ground to get the rot process started. (rot I refer to starts the process of breaking down the Carbon (the C) in the litter or bedding, using the Nitrogen in the droppings, along with a bit of water and air).

But eventually over time, the diaper is going to get dirty and will need to be changed. It is then, after the clean out, when you put it all outside and get it wet that things will start to "cook".

Howdy Birdlover 13

Because of our climate I have a slatted timber floor in the coop but I do use the deep litter method in the run. I agree with Howard E in that I use it for its disposable diaper capabilities.

The run is covered and the litter remains nice and dry. It does a great job of keeping the fly numbers down and only when it is changed and outside does it get wet.

Thank you, I also have a covered run.
thumbsup.gif
But I have a brick floor and currently I have Lucerne hay on it. Will this compost?

Back
Top Bottom