Deep litter

1) Lots use it.
2) Works great.
3) Yes it did in the very beginning (not too much though), it takes about 3 to 5 days for the process to start breaking down things, but after that no smell for the past 3.5 months.

When I first started at raising chickens, I tried every method found on BYC.
The Best one has been the Deep liter method.
Once a month, I thoughly clean out the coop. Scraping the 2 x 4 roost, doorway and the floor with a hoe.
If needed, I will use a pressure washer then place a fan to dry it thoughly. Then I use DE liberally around the perimeter and on the floor. Then, I will fill the floor with 1.5 bales of the large Pine Shavings (not fine) from TS. Again I will run the fan to get the fine air particles moving.
The girls love the new shavings. They scratch around and keep the shavings turned therefore, that keeps the odor down. I have a well ventilated coop so, I believe that helps.
I do hang a fly trap out of their reach in the coop and I use Permethrin spray as advised here on BYC.
Other than that, so far so good.
I have two coops.
One for the Big girls: 3 RIR and 3 EGGERS and
One coop for my two Polish Pullets
1 Silver Lace & 1 Black White Crested that should begin to lay any day.

Hope this helps!

Mine recently got wet in the rain. It's smelled for a few days. I added more shavings and some stall dry. Hopefully that helps. Also the bottom of my room is dirt.

Mine recently got wet in the rain. It's smelled for a few days. I added more shavings and some stall dry. Hopefully that helps. Also the bottom of my room is dirt.
Yes, adding new dry material helps absorb the moisture and create the microorganisms needed to help decompose. eliminating the smell over a little time. After a good day worth of rain, when it stops I've started taking a pitch fork in the run and turning the materials just to help things along. That and throwing some scratch in the run for the girls to dig at.

When I first started at raising chickens, I tried every method found on BYC.
The Best one has been the Deep liter method.
Once a month, I thoughly clean out the coop. Scraping the 2 x 4 roost, doorway and the floor with a hoe.
If needed, I will use a pressure washer then place a fan to dry it thoughly. Then I use DE liberally around the perimeter and on the floor. Then, I will fill the floor with 1.5 bales of the large Pine Shavings (not fine) from TS. Again I will run the fan to get the fine air particles moving.
The girls love the new shavings. They scratch around and keep the shavings turned therefore, that keeps the odor down. I have a well ventilated coop so, I believe that helps.
I do hang a fly trap out of their reach in the coop and I use Permethrin spray as advised here on BYC.
Other than that, so far so good.
I have two coops.
One for the Big girls: 3 RIR and 3 EGGERS and
One coop for my two Polish Pullets
1 Silver Lace & 1 Black White Crested that should begin to lay any day.

Hope this helps!
I thought in the deep litter method, you dont use DE or spray so the microbes a
can break down the poop. I read that with this method you dont clean it out but one a year. That seems excessive to me though. For the summer, I clean the coop and runs out frequently, like once or twice every 2 weeks or when it gets stinky. Please chime in. I want to try deep litter method for the winter.

My deep litter is going on 3 years now so it's very stable. Before that I had a massive amount of mud due to seasonal rains (thick enough to pull the boots off my feet) and a lot of odor issues. It does take a while to build up layers and stabilize so don't expect instant results, but if done right it should yield good results in most conditions.

Back
Top Bottom