*deep sigh* Lost Cinnamon UPDATE! Good/Bad news

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by poppycat, Mar 9, 2008.

1. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Well we had our first loss today. A coyote came up out of the ravine and carried off one of our RIR's. The amazing thing is that my husband and kids and I were standing RIGHT THERE! It was 3:00 in the afternoon. I guess we won't be ranging so freely in the future. My husband suspects they have pups and that's why she was so bold. I just hope she died quickly [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I'm so sorry for your loss

3. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I'm sorry.

I just hate coyotes!

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Oh my, so sorry. [​IMG]

5. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Coyotes are very dangerous. If you have small children, please watch them carefully. I'm sorry for your loss.

6. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I'm sorry for your loss.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm sorry you lost your Cinnamon. [​IMG]

8. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    So sorry for your loss of Cinnamon. [​IMG] We had a coyote wandering in with our horses right around Christmas time, but when we put a box trap out for it, we haven't seen it since. It was seen around 10 am in the morning. I have to keep an eye out as I have small children too. Hope you don't have more troubles with more coyotes!

9. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Quote:No kidding. Fortunately our children are old enough that that's not a worry anymore.

Thank you all for your kind words. We've been very lucky up to this point. It's a delicate balance between protecting your flock and letting them enjoy life outdoors. I'd still like them to free range some, but we can't have them carried off into the woods one by one either.

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm so sorry that you lost Cinnamon.
    It may not make you feel any better, but at least she didn't go to waste, as she would have in a dog attack...
    [​IMG]

Just the other day, I heard, "Yip. Yip awooo". which was then answered by 3 others...I had fun getting my babies back in PDQ!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by