Deep wound cleaning

Bugqueen

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2018
I have a young chicken that has been stocked by something and has a huge wound on her back. I noticed this evening that there are maggots all in it. I cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide and iodine, but her feathers are sort of in the way. Should I pull them or just try to clean around them.

I have cleaned it with sterile saline, peroxide, and betadine. I used some sterilized tweezers to remove all the maggots I could find. I placed fresh betadine on the wound and wrapped her up with gauze. I'm going to go to Tractor Supply tomorrow and get her some medicated chick crumble. Thanks for the help. Her wound is pretty bad. It will be a miracle if she makes it.
It sounds like you are cleaning the wound nicely. I would also put some triple antibiotic ointment on the wound if you have that. Leave the wound uncovered unless she is seriously picking at it.

You mention that you are going to get Medicated Chick Starter - in the US usually that contains Amprolium which is a Coccidiostat used to treat Coccidiosis. It is not an antibiotic.

It may be wise to treat her with antibiotics, since the wound may be infected. You can get Procaine Penicillin G in the refrigerated section of TSC. You can give up to 1/4ml per day injected into the breast muscle, alternate sides each day for 5 days.

Trim any feathers around the wound. I would clean the wound and flush it out with saline until no maggots are seen. Vetericyn, weak betadine, or chlorhexidene mixed with water, are all good for cleaning, then clean again in the morning, since maggots may hatch out later. Can you post any pictures?

My Raven is so much better. He sounds are healing nicely and she is getting stronger every day. I still have her segregated from the other chickens, but I am letting her explore my screened in porch and pool deck to exercise her legs. Once her wounds are completely healed and her limp is a little less pronounced, I will introduce her slowly back into the flock. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Attachments

• 20181215_173128.jpg
    20181215_173128.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 12
That is great news about Raven’s recovery. She will need to be reaquainted with her flock slowly. Many use a wire dog crate with food and water sitting inside the coop, so that they all can see each other for some time. Then, try some supervised free ranging with her flock. Hopefully, they won’t peck her too much when she is back with them full time. I would just proceed slowly. Good luck and thanks for the update.

Medicated feed is not necessary, and is for chicks to help prevent coccidiosis. Peroxide and betadine may keep the wound from healing if used more than once. You might be better off to get a small bottle of Hibiclens (Chlorhexidene) from the first aid aisle at Walmart or a drug store. Mix it with water according to directions on the label and spray it on her wound with a spray bottle. Vetericyn wound spray from the feed store is also good, but much more expensive. The plain triple antibiotic or neosporin ointment used twice daily is very good after cleaning. In some cases people soak the body in warm Epsom salts to kill all the maggots, and repeat as necessary. Bring inside to do this and dry well.

It sounds like you are cleaning the wound nicely. I would also put some triple antibiotic ointment on the wound if you have that. Leave the wound uncovered unless she is seriously picking at it.

You mention that you are going to get Medicated Chick Starter - in the US usually that contains Amprolium which is a Coccidiostat used to treat Coccidiosis. It is not an antibiotic.

It may be wise to treat her with antibiotics, since the wound may be infected. You can get Procaine Penicillin G in the refrigerated section of TSC. You can give up to 1/4ml per day injected into the breast muscle, alternate sides each day for 5 days.
Thank you for the information. She made it through the night, so I am hopeful. She is such a unique and beautiful young chicken. She is a barredrock/rhode island red mix. Her feathers are mostly black with red stripes on her breast. We named her Raven. She has been my favorite since she hatched on Halloween.

Trim any feathers around the wound. I would clean the wound and flush it out with saline until no maggots are seen. Vetericyn, weak betadine, or chlorhexidene mixed with water, are all good for cleaning, then clean again in the morning, since maggots may hatch out later. Can you post any pictures?

Attachments

• 20181208_210814.jpg
    20181208_210814.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 24
I have cleaned it with sterile saline, peroxide, and betadine. I used some sterilized tweezers to remove all the maggots I could find. I placed fresh betadine on the wound and wrapped her up with gauze. I'm going to go to Tractor Supply tomorrow and get her some medicated chick crumble. Thanks for the help. Her wound is pretty bad. It will be a miracle if she makes it.

Back
Top Bottom