Deer feed plot seed...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mamalindley, Oct 18, 2016.

1. mamalindley

mamalindley Out Of The Brooder

Would these seed blends + added calcium make for a good chicken feed or a base for a homemade feed? I'm wondering because we have a ton I can get at cost @ work. One is a three way blend. I think wheat, oats, clover (I think). The other is a 5 way blend. I want to say it includes pea & rape as well. I can verify the exact blend tomorrow.

If I can use these as a base, what would I need to add to make nutritionally complete feeds?

2. mamalindley

Here is the ingredient list on both products...any help appreciated! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mamalindley

[​IMG]

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Deer feed is for Deer.....Chickens have a complex system that requires proper nutrition in order to properly grow, lay eggs and live a longer life...Improper diet causes feather pecking, poor growth, obesity, lack of or slower egg production...disease...And death...

Cheers!

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The biggest issue is that deer are exclusively herbivores. Chickens are omnivorous. They require a lot more protein than seed/grain diets can provide. I know that it is tempting to try and use something cheaper. But you aren't going to be providing your flock with everything they need nutritionally for optimum growth and production. Chickens require a precise amount of certain trace minerals in addition to approximately 13 amino acids, some of which must be synthesized or come from animal protein sources.
    Sure you can feed them deer feed, and your flock will survive. But they won't be healthy and productive.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If I had access to that stuff at cost, you can be sure I'd be using it! However, I would sprout it to use as a SUPPLEMENT to their regular processed feed during the lean winter months when greens are not available. Now, if you also can get access to free venison, and sprout your deer fodder, using both to supplement processed feed, you would be well on your way to an enviable flock diet. You can ferment your processed feed to give your flock even more of a nutritional advantage.

7. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    x2 on what lazy gardener said. Great advice. Though venison is too tasty to feed to the chickens.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm thinking about old freezer burnt stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by