Deer Feeder for Chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FireTigeris, Oct 11, 2011.

1. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Can I use a deer feeder to make sure my chickens get plenty of food while I'm away?

It be simpler to have the pet sitter check/collect eggs, w/o going into the coop (I have nice roosters but there's always the first time)

How do deer feeders work?

The one's I'm looking at are 44/50 gallons and have timers on them...

It would be on the wooden deck part of my coop under shade/weather proofing-

My enclosure is rat proof (so far).

----

I have an auto water bowl- and a kiddy pool and would put out gravity waters also- just in case.

---

What are good prices for these units?

What won't fit out the feeder/spreader thingy?

2. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    [​IMG]

Interested to hear opinions

3. FireTigeris

Well I guess I could always ask... the feed store...

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    There's no reason it wouldn't work, but I'd put some sort of sheild around the spreader to make it drop the feed into a pan rather than throwing it out over a large area.

Even a 20 gallon barrel would hold over 100 lbs of feed

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  5. FireTigeris

Hummm - I have scrap aluminum panels

Or is there a way to deactivate the spreader w/o disabling the device?

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Or is there a way to deactivate the spreader w/o disabling the device?

Not that I know of​

7. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    It would work, but might not be worth the trouble.

The general idea is there is some sort of trap door or auger that opens and tosses the feed periodically. Usually will toss it several feet, so I'm with Bear Foot Farm and I'd want to contain it in some way (blankets, boards, etc).

Why not just get/make a big feeder (5 gallon bucket comes to mind)?

I'm pretty sure you can simply buy the mechanical pieces and attach them to a garbage can or bucket, too.

Another option is to figure out how to access your feeder from outside the coop (funnel, pipe, etc.)

8. mylilchickens

mylilchickens New Egg

Mar 16, 2012
    I know this is an old thread but here goes. I use an american hunter deer feeder aprox 200 lb capacity. It can be programed for 16 feeds a day also you can set the duration of feed time also can set the amount by adjusting the feed plate on the motor. I splurged and bought rechargeable batteries and solar panel. I cut the bottom of a bucket and bungy corded it to the bottom so the feed goes straight down. with only 12 chickens mine last about a month and a half. I bought the feeder at academy outdoor for right at $100 minus the battery and solar panel. with a little tinkering mine feeds the same amount i was giving them by hand but i have it set to feed 3 time a day.For water look up chicken nipples on ebay they work great aslo. Good luck.

9. FireTigeris

Thanks that' take a couple months chicken money

10. DawnCols

DawnCols Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Mylilchickens--

Could you post pics? It sounds pretty ingenious--but I can't quite picture how it works.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by