DEER= How do you keep deer out of your veggies garden ?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunflowerenvy, May 18, 2010.

1. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    DEER- How do you keep deer out of your veggies garden without put up a fences. i am seeing deer on that part land that till up. this there a trick to keep them out of there?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Deer can be so destructive! I have a fenced in yard, with my garden inside the fence, and they still got in there and took bites out of my green tomatoes. One little trick, that my dog groomer told me was to put dog hair in your garden. So when I shave my little dog for the summer, I scatter his hair all around the garden. Then my husband tilled it in. Last year I just had clumps all over the garden, and it looks terrible! Like a buncha dead rats all over the garden! LOL But you know, it did work! No more deer!

3. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Scent marking on my part, sweaty stinky t-shirt on a pole, a product called "deer no no" soap type product which must be replenished periodically. Sweaty, stinky T-shirt must also be replaced periodically- requires actual physical work to get the proper degree of aroma.[​IMG]

5. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I heard human hair around the garden works as well...
    Just go to a hair cut place and get some [​IMG]

6. sacrifice

sacrifice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Caldwell, ID
    Quote:Exactly what my wife suggests every time we are visited by the neighborhood deer. However.......I put up 7 foot high netting around my vegetable garden, bird netting on my cherry trees (that actually survived this year), and individual fences around the plants that the deer like in my wife's flower garden(s). The deer still manage to get some of the plants, but the majority are safe. However, if they eat my newly planted apple or cherry trees this year, they will be in my freezer!

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Irish spring soap.Deer netting at an angle.My mom makes a spray that has eggs in it.Stinky stuff.I think she got it from a jerry bakker book. I have a 6 foot fence,and so far they are too lazy to jump it.

8. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:Ya shoots em, then ya's eats em..........

[​IMG]

Better use the white gravy tonight 'ma, the roast is still on da hoof!

9. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Shining CD's might do the trick.

10. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Human urine... yes, you read that right... especially morning human urine... full strength... around the outside perimeter of your garden. Usually only have to do it once, as long as you have enough. A large family could fill that bucket in one morning... [​IMG]

I know it sounds crazy, but the initial scent that you will smell fades kinda quickly... but the level of scent the deer can smell is around for a long time.

D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by