1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deer Meat....

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by 2468Chickensrgr8, Dec 19, 2009.

1. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Venison......I am not sure if this is the spot to post this ...? Sorry Mod's

Okay all you hunters ...this ones for you ...
    We had a big buck that was hit by a car on our road last night just after dusk ...hubby went to pick up our son at his friends and on his way back a car was waiting for a friend to come and pick it up ....so it must have just happened...we have a "hilly" road....

So I was wondering ...How long would the deer have to "bleed out" and then how long would you wait until you butcher it for meat ?and if you came apon a freshly killed deer from a car or truck would you snatch it up....I know my Father in law would....LOL but he has passed on now...

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    been there, it depends on how hard it was hit. I will look for my thread and post it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  3. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i know lots of people who would take it, just be sure the meat isnt ruined from the accident. If the internal organs were punctured it wont be good. You need to gut it right away and hang it for a few hours I think. Someone else im sure will have more info for you.

4. seramaland2

seramaland2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    bethel,ohio
    We do.Just finished one.Can't really bleed it.We butcher immediately and throw the meat in a tub of cold water as we go, then take it in little by little and cut it up to freeze. .Great meat.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  5. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Thanks so much ! Great information ...[​IMG]
    This was driving me nuts....you made me laugh when you thought you"won the lotto and ran out the door".......thats how hubby was feeling last night when they came home ...I said to them " "are you flippin' nuts!" but then the mother in me was saying ....ohhhhh free meat !!! Thankfully the deer was taken ...
    Another Question Would the meat that was hit by the car be to tough to eat? Is that what is meant by "no good"?

6. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    it bruises the meat and makes it like it is bloodshot. dh and I have ate it before it really just makes it darker than normal but I found that if you soak it alot of the blood comes out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by