Deer Meat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kreagerm, Nov 8, 2012.

1. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    For those feeding it to their chickens, what is the best way to serve? Raw, Cooked, ect? I was thinking I would just boil it and slice it up for them, thoughts?

2. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Although they'd probably love it raw, I'd recommend cooking it to reduce the chances of them picking up worms or other parasites. You could boil or bake or crock pot it...whatever is easier :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I feed all supplemental meat raw unless it is leftovers from a past meal of my families.

Chris

4. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    I just toss the carcass out for who ever wants to eat it. The chickens love if.

5. kreagerm

Feb 11, 2012
    Thanks everyone!!!!!!

6. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

I wouldn't waste good meat on my chickens unless it was scrap or leftover. However, for your birds, I think raw is fine. A chicken is unlikely to suffer from mammalian parasites, bodies are too different. Just make sure it is fresh and good still when you offer it, rotting meat can be much more problematic for them.

7. growyourbrew

growyourbrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    I give them the carcass raw as well. Didn't have any problems

8. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Chickens are scavengers so their systems are pretty hardy. I wouldn't be too worried about them getting sick... They are meant to eat carrion raw.

9. Shutter Up

Shutter Up Out Of The Brooder

Is this the same for squirrel? I shoot a lot of squirrels (my kids love broiled squirrel's) and we have a lot of them on our property and surrounding properties.

When I skin the squirrel - I throw the skin, feet, innards, and head in the woods - would the chickens actually like that?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  10. kreagerm

Feb 11, 2012
    Around my way you can kill an unlimited amout of doe, and i already have 3 in the freezer any more meet now would just be donated to the supply kitchens for the homeless. So I figured I would just feed it to my chickens instead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by