Deer netting for the top??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NJChicken, Jul 2, 2010.

1. NJChicken

NJChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Annandale, New Jersey
    Hi
    Putting finishing touches on the fence around our first coop. (The coop building guidelines' pictures were very helpful). We have a 9 Ft wire fence. Chicken wire fencing added on the bottom 4 ft as well as hardware cloth from the bottom foot and going out onto the ground for 3 feet around the entire fence. Plan to also add electrical wires times 4 vertically around the fence.

Question: although we are in an area with trees so risk of hawks is reduced, can we cover the top of the fencing with deer netting to prevent flying attacks??

Thanks

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I use bird netting for that purpose. It's not perfect, but it will slow down a raptor hopefully long enough for a chicken to get away. And I know it's pretty strong, because my roo got spooked one evening whilst out of the run and flew up over the run fence ONTO the netting. He bounced about 3 times until he got his feet too tangled in it. I had to use my hands to tear the netting away and drop him into the run. (Then I zip-tied the rip together.)

3. NJChicken

NJChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Annandale, New Jersey
    Ok Thanks. Will try it and see if it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by