deer processor prices..

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by smom1976, Nov 29, 2008.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I was hoping that my son and my husband would get a big deer today so I stopped in at a butcher shop and asked them how much to process..

$2 a lb to process a deer.. they cut it any way you want it..

is that a good deal or not? need to compare other peoples prices

anyone?

2. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    We paid .75 last year. They did a wonderful job. Up in MO. it's .43 a lb. Unbelievable, Huh?

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd say that's a tad expensive.

I saw a place in Heber, AZ yesterday where they were processing elk and were charging much less than that. ( $1)

Couldn't believe how HUGE some of those Elk were!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  4. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    havent heard of them charging by the pound for deer usually a flat rate unless you wanted sausage or something special made,sounds way to high to me,id check around

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I think it is done by the per/deer around here in central wisc. I do my own.. I am very particular about how my food is handled..

$80/per deer, I believe..

I want to make sure I get my own meat back..

I freeze the meat that I want to be made into sausage and take it to a butcher in june.. that way he is working with only my meat and not some shot-up, dragged through the swamp, hauled on an open truck for who knows how far deer from sombody who knows nothing about how to handle fresh meat.

6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

jvls1942, that is such a good point. I never would have even thought about that.

That may be a good reason to go for processors with good / reliable recommendations.

7. Poler

Poler Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I charge .50 cents a pound, and jerky and sausage extra.

If I didnt want to do the work myself, I would pay any more than .80 cents a pound, its just to expensive otherwise.

8. cristy17

cristy17 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't live too far from Wausau -- actually my brother lives there -- but around here its anywhere from $40 - $50 depending on if its a buck or a doe.

9. Hellvagirl

Hellvagirl Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Ellijay,GA
    We have a deer processor right out the road & he charges $50.00 per deer.$10.00 extra if he has to gut it.He will cut your meat however you want it.My son has taken 2 deer to him & he does a wonderful job.

10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Around here it's about $80 per deer. A small doe will cost the same as a large buck. It's $10 more if you want the hide and another $10 if you want it caped out. Since one of my sons and I usually take 10 deer each season it is way to expensive. I have processed ours for over 30 years and much prefer how we do it. A commercial processor could not take the time trimming that we do. Learning to process your own will give you greater satisfaction from your hunt, plus a much better tasting meat if you take the time to due it properly. I bone mine out completely, trimming all the fat, tendons, sinew and membrane as possible. If white not right is a good trimming mantra. Don't try to visualized beef like cuts as you cut up you deer. A beef carcass is 700 pounds most deer 70. Just go with muscle groups and you will be happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by