deer processor prices..

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by smom1976, Nov 29, 2008.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I was hoping that my son and my husband would get a big deer today so I stopped in at a butcher shop and asked them how much to process..

$2 a lb to process a deer.. they cut it any way you want it..

is that a good deal or not? need to compare other peoples prices

2. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    We paid .75 last year. They did a wonderful job. Up in MO. it's .43 a lb. Unbelievable, Huh?
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd say that's a tad expensive.

I saw a place in Heber, AZ yesterday where they were processing elk and were charging much less than that. ( $1)

Couldn't believe how HUGE some of those Elk were!
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  4. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    havent heard of them charging by the pound for deer usually a flat rate unless you wanted sausage or something special made,sounds way to high to me,id check around
  5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    I think it is done by the per/deer around here in central wisc. I do my own.. I am very particular about how my food is handled..

$80/per deer, I believe..

I want to make sure I get my own meat back..

I freeze the meat that I want to be made into sausage and take it to a butcher in june.. that way he is working with only my meat and not some shot-up, dragged through the swamp, hauled on an open truck for who knows how far deer from sombody who knows nothing about how to handle fresh meat.
  6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

jvls1942, that is such a good point. I never would have even thought about that.

That may be a good reason to go for processors with good / reliable recommendations.
  7. Poler

Poler Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I charge .50 cents a pound, and jerky and sausage extra.

If I didnt want to do the work myself, I would pay any more than .80 cents a pound, its just to expensive otherwise.
  8. cristy17

cristy17 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't live too far from Wausau -- actually my brother lives there -- but around here its anywhere from $40 - $50 depending on if its a buck or a doe.
  9. Hellvagirl

Hellvagirl Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    We have a deer processor right out the road & he charges $50.00 per deer.$10.00 extra if he has to gut it.He will cut your meat however you want it.My son has taken 2 deer to him & he does a wonderful job.
  10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Around here it's about $80 per deer. A small doe will cost the same as a large buck. It's $10 more if you want the hide and another $10 if you want it caped out. Since one of my sons and I usually take 10 deer each season it is way to expensive. I have processed ours for over 30 years and much prefer how we do it. A commercial processor could not take the time trimming that we do. Learning to process your own will give you greater satisfaction from your hunt, plus a much better tasting meat if you take the time to due it properly. I bone mine out completely, trimming all the fat, tendons, sinew and membrane as possible. If white not right is a good trimming mantra. Don't try to visualized beef like cuts as you cut up you deer. A beef carcass is 700 pounds most deer 70. Just go with muscle groups and you will be happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by