1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deer Shoulder Roast?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Cindiloohoo, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I have 2 deer shoulder roasts. I have them brining now. I want to cook them for tomorrow's supper. I have cooked deer plenty of times, but would like to try something new. I may have to tweak, as my kids are allergic to MSG and such. We can't use soy, Dale's or many of the seasoned salts, but I have alternatives for substituting most of these. If you all have any great deer recipes that I could use for this particular cut...please do share [​IMG] Thanks ya!

2. lighthawk

lighthawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    Gobles MI
    Sorry. All my shoulders go straight into ground meat. Too much sinew for my liking. Though I will watch this thread to see if others have something Maaavelous. It would be nice to find a recipe or two.
    There are a couple of recipes on the Where am I where are you "Michigan" thread by OPA for venison Pastrami and Corned venison. They are very much worth checking out. They might work for you. Good luck

3. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    I agree with lighthawk..we usually grind or make stew meat out of the shoulders. I have tried cooking with a beer marinade and lots of onions. The taste was ok but hubby doesn't like the tendon/sinew throughout.

4. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Thanks! I usually grind mine too, but I have been sick for 2 weeks, and just don't feel up to it this time. I was hoping it would be salvageable as is. I was given this meat and had no idea what it even was when I pulled it out of the freezer this morning. It's hard to decipher what a huge chunk of frozen deer meat actually consists of as far as cut [​IMG] I used some backstrap pieces for steak and gravy tonight, and it was suprisingly tender. I'm thinkin it was a young deer. Oh well, if I don't get any more responses I'll just do what I normally do. Smother in hot sauce [​IMG]

5. djmooney

djmooney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    we always used to grind them up. but we make roast out of the hind quarters their are 1 on each leg. they should look like footballs. we call them the football pieces. the only time we do front shoulders is on the moose because their not enogh meat on the front shoulders of a normal sized deer

6. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    Try wrapping it in bacon and cooking it at a higher temperature for a shorter time. The sinew only gets chewier the longer it cooks at low heat. A big cast iron dutch oven with onions, garlic and wrapped in bacon - 400 degrees until the center temp gets to 160 (about 20 minutes a pound).

7. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    Ok this might sound freaky but you can cook it in a crockpot with a can of coke. Helps tenderize it. Not for everybody since it does leave a sweet taste. let it cook till it shreds with a fork

8. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:I just pulled bacon out of the freezer, and have it brining in the bottom of my (not cast iron I'm so JEALOUS) dutch oven anyway!!! We LOVE garlic, and I so happen to have a clove handy, along with plenty of onions....so....WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!! Thank you so much! It sounds absolutely awesome!

Edited due to those darn grammatical errors I hate so much!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  9. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    I have also cooked it in the crockpot with a can of coke and a jar of chili sauce - pretty yummy stuff. My Mom always cooked the tough pieces wrapped in bacon in the dutch oven though - I still do it. You can take the girl out of the country.... [​IMG]

10. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:This will provide you with a shoulder roast that is very very tough and dry. The shoulder muscle is a muscle of locomotion hence a lot of density and sinew. The best way to get this tender is to cook it all day in a crock pot with potatoes carrots and onion, celery if you want. If you cook it for a long time at a low temp the veggies will not over cook if you keep them in large pieces. The sinew in fact in these long slow methods gets soft and gelatanous for example lamb shank, veal shank pork shank can all be served very successfully if braised. There is no cut of meat touigher than a brisket and BBQ cooks get them soft as butter with long slow heat.

Low and slow is your friend. You can also cut into cubes and brown then simmer again for hours and have an awesome stew. LOw and slow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by