deer

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 1 old hen, Dec 16, 2013.

1. 1 old hen

1 old hen Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2013
    As I have been gardening for several year and had fence around my garden and no problelems from deer till 2 years ago. I had a 6 foot fence but the deer tore it down. I did some searching for deer fencing and found a fence 12 foot high was recommended. but the cost. So after move looking I found a deer farmer. He said to put up a 4 foot strand of fence then take pvc pipe bigenough to go over my post and cut it 2 feet place a 45 angle on the pvc and cut another 2 feet of pvc to place in the 45. Let the 1st 2 feet rest on top of the 4 feet wire and place another 4 wire threded over the 2 end 2 feet pvc and down to the 1 wire. As this creates a 45 angle to the outside so as the deer have to be close to the fence to jump and the over hange creates a barieer. Sounded a little far fetched but I tried it and so far no problems. I have seen deer come up to the fence but never challenged it. 1 old hen

2. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Can you take a couple pictures of your fence and post them? I am not quite following what you're explaining.

3. 1 old hen

Nov 4, 2013
    Will take some pictures and try to post them.

4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Thanks

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    We used similar to the described above to keep white-tailed deer out of sweet potato plots. They worked most of time but some deer would develope knack for jumping through fence even though they could not clear it. Yearlings seemed to be the most problematic with such. I doubt if our fence was anywhere near as tight as a deer farmer would have. The fence still kept most deer out.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I belong to a beagle club that has 45 + acres enclosed with 4' coated mesh fencing. We have plastic angled supports at a 45 degree angle with 3 strands of electrified wire. Coupled with a hot wire about a foot from the ground this works well to keep out ground predators. It also kept deer out for about 3 months, but they eventually learned to clear the fence. 1 oldhen, how far does the angled portion on your fencing project out?

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have seen them jump vertically more than 10 feet which clears all but the 12-foot fences used by deer farmers. What the back angled part seems to do is make it difficult to see / judge distance so they do not like to try..

8. 1 old hen

Nov 4, 2013
    The top goes out 2 feet at a 45% angle. I have been told resently that there should be some sort of ribin hanging every 2-3 feet apart. But I have never done this as what I have, seems to be working. This fence has been up and seems to be doing the job. I live in wv and in the country the deer come through here 2 times a day that I have seen. I have seen 5-9 at a time. 1 old hen

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Thanks, explains a lot. The flange at the club only extends out about 15 inches. In addition the deer recognize the enclosure as a safe haven and frequently have fawns in there. That creates another problem until they learn how to jump out.

10. 1 old hen

Nov 4, 2013
    [​IMG] this is outside view

[​IMG] this is 1st 2 foot pvc on post setting on 1st 4 foot fence and how wire is woven on pvc
    [​IMG] this is 45 angle not glued to 1st pvc, 45 is glued to 2nd 2 foot pvc, wire is woven over 45 before placing on 1st pvc, also drilled 2 holes to run small wire to help support. I used stock fence
    [​IMG] I cut top 2 feet of wire to make corners pvc is screwed to wooden corner post. hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by