Defeathering

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jrsqlc, Jan 22, 2010.

1. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    I have a bunch of roos that need "taken care of"

I was wondering who use what to defeather and what seems to work the best.
    I plan on buying or making something to help the process...but would like input first.

thanks everyone, and any pics of homemade units would be great.

2. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    I scalded my birds and if I just have 1 or 2 I just do it by hand. 3 or more I use either drill powered plucker or pull out my motorized plucker.
    now I always scalded because the feathers come off so much better.

3. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    If you don't care about keeping the skin of the birds on, you could always try this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgo6Qlaff_4

It
    shows the processor cutting along the breast bone and then ripping the skin off. Looks 500 times easier than the scalding water and plucking method I did with the last bird I processed.

4. jrsqlc

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    that is the one i ended up making! works GREAT!!! under a minute per bird!

5. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Quote:So what kind of drill do you use, and do you strap it to a table or hold it in your hand?

6. jrsqlc

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    i used my old sears corded drill. I zip tied it to an old inch thick board i had. the board was about 10 inches wide and 5 feet long. i put the board and de-feathering machine hanging out the back of my truck in the middle of the back yard. i put a couple totes on the ground, but the remaining feathers flew away! it works great. i did have to stack a bunch of weight on the board though because it would have moved if i didnt! and the board being so long kept the feathers away from my truck, and doubled as a great cutting station!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by