Defeating an egg eater

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by columbiacritter, Aug 8, 2010.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I have at least one hen who has become a chronic egg eater. She will stand over the other hens waiting for them to lay. Instead of getting rid of her since she's very young and a nice bird otherwise I decided to rig up roll back nests to get the eggs away from her. I've use white dishpans for nest boxes for years to I just modified the existing nests and this morning it worked. Two hens went in and laid with her standing over them and both times the egg was safely away from her before the hen even stood up. I wish I'd had my camera because the frustration she showed was funny!

Start with a plain plastic dish pan. Cut one end off with a jig saw to form a scoop. It's very important the scoop be in one piece, you'll use it later as a vital part.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I discovered you have to cut the bottom out of the pan to have the eggs roll properly. I probably could have done away with the pans but the hens are comfortable with them, so I kept them. Keep the edges of the pan to help funnel the eggs back.
    [​IMG]

I put two small pieces of wood, just as tall as an egg in the boxes at the back. The piece of plywood rest up on the nest front which is a 2x4 so with the pieces of wood in back being about 2 inches high there's enough slope for a good roll but not an egg breaking roll.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I put the cut out dish pan end as a catcher and a scooper to keep the egg from hitting bottom hard and to roll it forward away from greedy beaks. I did end up needing to nail it in place.

[​IMG]

Then the nest box is screwed down to the plywood piece.

[​IMG]

A bent nail holds the boxes down so they don't flip forward when the girls fly up to them. To get the eggs out I just twist the nail up slide the boxes forward and reach in for the eggs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just need to make sure when you slide them back you leave room for the eggs to roll out at the bottom.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Very nice. Good work.

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    It worked! 4 eggs today, more than I've gotten in the last 2 weeks. I had originally thought something was wrong with my hens, now I know it was just hte egg muncher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by