Defective Brinsea Octagon 20?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Summerfest, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Summerfest

Summerfest New Egg

Apr 12, 2016
    Hey everyone,
    I received my Brinsea Octagon 20 and I was pretty excited to set it up until I discovered that the vent is stuck. The adjuster should just slide left or right, but it won't budge at all. I can't even pry the vent itself open. I emailed Brinsea, but they aren't responding. Am I missing something here?

This is how the vent should work:

[​IMG]
    I'm open to ideas if someone knows how to fix it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You're not missing anything - it should slide, as you say. I'd wait a short while for Brinsea to respond, after that it might be a case of brute force or something a little more ingenious (too early in the morning for my little mind to help on that one, sorry)

3. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Yeah, mine slides so easily that when I open the lid if I just brush against the little knob it will slide all the way open. Sometimes I don't even realize I hit it until later. Call the 800 number. They should answer during business hours.

4. Summerfest

Summerfest New Egg

Apr 12, 2016
    I got a response from Brinsea. Apparently one of their workers assembled a batch of them by glueing the vent closed. They told me I can fix it by taking the top apart, using a putty knife to break the glue bonds, sanding the glue off and then reassembling everything. Also, the bottom wasnt snapped in place before they screwed it together so I get to fix that as well.

This is not the quality I was expecting from a $360 incubator.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Indeed, i agree. At the very least they were honest and suggested a way to fix the issue. Even in the UK, the issue i find confusing is that buying a bator from them directly is more expensive than through a third party - strange to say the least

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by