Defensive pullet; I've got your back hon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MakNugget, Sep 16, 2010.

1. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    This evening when the girls were turning in to the coop for the night I always spend a few minutes with them to give them treats and to be a good host by making sure all their amenities are in order (fresh water, etc). I went to pet my most mature looking RIR (none of which are egglaying yet, all around 23 weeks on 9/17) and sure enough she squats, except this time she actually spread her wings out a little bit. I recognized this as what is described as squatting, so my fingers lingered just a fraction of a bit longer after recognizing this new behavior, and that's when the BO came over and nipped and kicked my hand. Oh boy was she giving me the stink eye. Her normal pink wattles were deep red and was not impressed that I was making moves on her girlfriend! It didn't take long before she was back to her goofy self but it sure was interesting to see such behavior. For what it's worth, she's #2 in the pecking order, with the RIR as #1. Pretty much no doubt 99.9999% she's a pullet.

Anyone else experience this personally or toward a rooster?

2. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    hmmm... My hens have never provoked me. Maybe it's jealousy or competition, or like you said, being protective/defensive. Who knows. But if I were you, I would definitely not allow this behavior to continue, hen or not! What happens when you try to love on the BO?

3. MakNugget

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    It was just tonight so I don't know if it will be an isolated incident. I curiously tried to touch the girls again and I just got the usual Don't Touch Meeeee response so. I figure it's just hormones, and they already know whose boss so I don't foresee this as a problem, just curious.

4. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Now that's loyalty for you! [​IMG] What a good friend she is!

5. BrewedInNh

BrewedInNh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Southern NH
    Some of our girls have done that, one just last night as a matter of fact. I thought it was jealousy. I've been correcting them with the other hand when it happens.

6. cheeps

cheeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    Just sayin, my BO hen is a crazed lunatic. She acts like a rooster when there's no rooster around. DH calls her a psychochicken! I know they're not all like that, but in my coop too the BO hen causes a lot of drama. She gets insanely jealous when I pet the other birds. I try to correct her, for what that's worth to a chicken.

It's funny, my #1 is a RIR, and #2 is the BO, just like yours!

7. MakNugget

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:LOL. Your buff orpington must be related to mine. I've always thought she's just not _right_, running to and fro for no apparent reason. When she was a chick I could scoop her up with one hand no problems, but it's been ages since she actually liked being picked up. Avoids me like the plague (unless I have treats... she'll accuse me of hiding treats in my hand and demand inspection several times) and if I pick her up it's like I've committed the ultimate sin. The other two won't volunteer to be picked up but at least they will relax afterwards. Not the BO... not on her life!

8. cheeps

cheeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    Ahaha mine is the same way. I remember one time my DH said for some reason "Buffy would totally kill another chicken. Maybe even the turkey. Then she would probably cannibalize it." LOL...like I said, psychochicken!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by