Deficiency in calcium? Help please :-)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cynthia 085, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Cynthia 085

Cynthia 085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2014
    CO
    I have a Cochin who can't see very well (probably a birth defect).

She knows where the food and water is and gets around just fine. She is now laying and I find her eggs very thin. This worries me.

I give her veggies daily and offer calcium, but by the look of her eggs shell she might not be taking in enough calcium.

I give her layer food, but I offer all my chickens extra calcium if they need it.

What can I do to help her?
    I don't know if she knows where the extra calcium is.

I don't want her to be eggbound or calcium deficient.

Thanks.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The veggies could be cutting down on the amount of calcium she is getting; I would keep the quantity very small, or cut them out. You can add a Tums tablet to the water, which I wouldn't do more than twice or three times a week.

There are actually several possible causes of thin shelled eggs, and it may be you won't be able to correct this in her. See here:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs

3. TGRREZ

TGRREZ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    SC
    I had one pass thin shelled eggs and one time, without shell at all. Soft egg. I got some liquid calcium from tractor supply and gave her 1.5cc, she is a bantam. I think with reg size hens they can have 3cc once daily till they perk up. I also have oyster shell in a separate dish. She calcium really helped.

2 people like this.
  4. Cynthia 085

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Thanks guys.
    You advice helps and makes me feel better.

No soft shell eggs yet. Just that compared to the other eggs I get her egg shells are not as thick.

5. Necklace

Necklace Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2014
    my hens started laying thin shelled eggs for awhile.. I started grinding up the egg shells I use for cooking and adding it to there food.. I worked for me and saved me some money instead of buying it at the store.... it might be worth a shot.. hope all goes well.. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Cynthia 085

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Yes!
    Great idea :)

7. Bratty477

Bratty477 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2015
    I noticed an egg here and there with really "soft" shells when one of my hens started to lay. I started grinding eggshells, added them into plain yogurt and give them a few spoonfuls every day. I haven't had a problem since and they absolutely seem to love the yogurt. I bought oyster shells but the chunks seemed so big I wasn't sure if they were even eating it but by using eggshells and yogurt, I knew they were having every bit!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by