Definatly NOT a Buff Orpington...what am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by itsredcandy, Sep 21, 2012.

1. itsredcandy

itsredcandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Far East Mesa, AZ
    My Coop
    What am I? This chick was suppose to be a Buff Orpington but it defiantly is not. She has purplish legs, very long wings and is extremely loud. She also flies VERY well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    where you get it from

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I vote adorable mutt and I'm not so sure it's a pullet.

4. itsredcandy

Jan 15, 2012
    Far East Mesa, AZ
    My Coop
    I got it from a feed store that gets all it's chicks from Privett Hatchery. Looking on Privett, I'm still not sure that I have one of their chicks. The legs aren't Green but maybe slate. I've had black legged chicks before and they were more black that his purplish translucent color. The skin for the most part, from what I can see is a darker color than the typical orange/yellow. There were Sebright's in the pen next too these, the wings remind me of sebrights but she has not pattern on her like the Sebrights did and she's bigger. Could she be a Buff Sebright?

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Maybe a California White?

6. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    How much bigger than the Sebrights was it? Is this a bantam or standard chick? And no, it's not buff anything.

7. itsredcandy

Jan 15, 2012
    Far East Mesa, AZ
    My Coop
    I looked to be a week or so larger than the Sebrights. Can't tell you if it's a bantam. It is much larger than the bantam Rhode Island Reds I got at the same time. The kids working there couldn't tell me anything about the chicks other than what hatchery they buy them from and what the board said "Buff Orpingtons" These wings are full and it flies very well.

8. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    It's probably their Leghorn cross production breed -- I see on their website that they call it "Austra White" because it's black Australorp crossed with white Leghorn. That would explain the white feathers, mixed leg color, single comb, and the dark eyes.

9. itsredcandy

Jan 15, 2012
    Far East Mesa, AZ
    My Coop
    Great, thank you. I guess we'll eventually find out. I got these chicks to raise and resell but I may end up keeping them. :eek:) I'd love another color egg added to my daily clutch

10. Bangarang64

Bangarang64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Lake Okeechobee
    are those green legs ? if so, could be an Easter Egger / Orp mix

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by