Define Quarantine...new Sussex chicks coming!

The Sheriff

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Northern CA
I was the lucky winner of the eggbid.com auction for a flock of eight 4-6 week old Light Sussex chicks from greenfirefarms.com! I am so excited. They are shipping tomorrow and will be here Tuesday.

Anyway, here's my dilemma. I have a brooder in my dining room with 7 chicks in it, ranging from 2 to 4 weeks old. I understand I should keep the Sussex chicks quarantined for 30 days. Can I set up a brooder somewhere else in the house for the Sussex or would that not truly be quarantine?

I have a shed or the garage to put them in, but it gets cold so they would need a heat lamp. I could move the brooder babies from the dining room to the coop since I set up a rabbit hutch in there to use for the silkies. I could put their heat lamp in it. The hutch is secure from the rest of the flock . Problem with that is, one of the 2 week old chicks is still having eating and crop impaction issues. So for now he/she has to stay in the house.

Recommendations?

Thanks,

Mary

If i were you, i would put the new ones in the shed with the lamp, provided that is not right next to your coop or anything. Well, even if it is, i think that would be better than inside your house. If both groups are inside your house, i would have a hard time seeing how you could keep from transferring "stuff" between them yourself, on your clothes or whatever.

Separate buildings is better.

Congratulations on your new babies!

Shed or garage... quarantine means no contact with your established flock, in the house is just too close.

Back
Top Bottom