1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Defining "Coop"

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SewChaos, Feb 24, 2012.

1. SewChaos

SewChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Hi,

I've been a lurker for quite a while as I research my chicken endeavor. My Mr and I are getting down to the nitty-gritty design process for the coop, and I'm looking for a bit of clarity - I'm trying to determine the definition of "coop".

In terms of sqft per bird, a coop is the weather-proof, safe and secure space they have access to 24/7. Correct?

What Ii'm thinking is - If I included a section of the coop that was covered, solid about for about 3' off the ground and wired up to the roof, I can include it in my calculations - provided they can get to it 24/7.

Thoughts?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You can do anything you can envision and have the funds and expertise to build. No rules, really.

The only word of caution I would put into the calculations is this. Don't build something always scrimping to barest of minimums and rationalizations. The birds need more room than most people think. Winter days, storms, winds can keep them cooped up for longer periods of time. Roosts take room. Feeder/water and nesting boxes. All this suddenly makes a coop smaller in real life than if often did just on paper. Can you clean it easily? Another criteria that can be overlooked while in the planning stages.

Best advice I'd give most "planners" is to make everything twice as big as what you think you need, at first. A couple years from now, you'll be very, very thankful that you did. Building multiple pens, the ability to separate a broody, places to segregate a sick bird, or quarantine new birds, or a place to introduce juveniles. Yup, multiple coops or multiple pens makes life easier in every way. Just some thoughts thrown into the hopper. Enjoy your new adventure.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  3. SewChaos

SewChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Thank you for the advice, that's pretty much what I've gleaned from reading the different forums here. :)

I am planning on larger than what I "need" now. I'm sure there will be times that they don't want to go outside, even if the door is open.

I want to make the best use of my materials. I have been gifted with three 2' x 6 1/2' windows that don't open, and I'm brainstorming creative uses for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by