Definite boy, right? Barred something, almost 10 weeks :P

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by featherz, Jun 7, 2011.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    This one has kept me guessing since I don't know for sure what breed it is. Had a small head spot, feathered in dark and has a dark wash on legs. However, he's obviously got a huge comb and wattles so I have always assumed roo.

Getting ready to rehome my roos from my last hatch and thought I'd double check. Just under 10 weeks old. Picture isn't so hot - they didn't want to go outside today since it's hhhhhot out today!

And what breed would you guess? Barred rock mix? black sex link?

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, male, if you're sure about the age. A BR cross of some sort, possibly a black sex link male, but could be just a BR cross of another sort. They're often darker due to only having one barring gene. Occasionally, you'll see a BR male that is super dark, but it's pretty unusual.

Not a female, by any means, due to the huge red comb and wattles at that age.

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    BR pullet...my guess, here is a shot of my pullet, and one of my full grown roo. Notice the feather coloring, the pullet is darker.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Thanks! Yes, I am sure about the age, I hatched him with a pile of others, then accidentally gave away most of the girls. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

Then, yes, it's a male, a BR cross of some sort. Any idea of the parentage?

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    None. I got a mixed lot of eggs from a byc'er and she threw in a few mystery eggs. This is one of the mysteries. [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

Had a few of those. Supposed to be pure BRs, but due to a little unlawful mating, I got four Silver Phoenix x BR hens. The three males looked just like yours. The female was solid black. I thought at first the males were BR pullets, then the combs turned pink at 3 weeks old and I noticed the tails were longer and the barring was very "ghosty".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by