Definite difference in friendliness, breed to breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fiddleblue, May 27, 2010.

1. fiddleblue

fiddleblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    I see a very distinct difference in friendliness between certain breeds. My two LIght Brahmas are so very friendly, they run right up to me, and very readily allow me to pet them or pick them up, though once picked up they tend to squirm, unless I hold them loosely and pet them gently. They are the most likely of my hens to hop up on me, too, when I go in the coop. After them, next in friendliness, come the Rhode Island Red and the Buff Orpington, which are not quite as bold, but also tolerate being petted and picked up fairly well. But always more at a distance are the 4 Silver Laced Wyandottes, stand-offish, they like to be 2 to 3 feet away from where I am. Near enough to grab morsels I might hand out, but not near enough to get petted or picked up. Anyone else have comments on their experience with more friendly versus more cautious/distant breeds?

2. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    My BO's are the friendliest breed I've ever had. Second would be cochin bantams (but they're chicks), then RSL's, then BR's, then RIR's, then wyandottes, then EE's and the least-friendly I've had yet would be my WCBP (but he's a nervous wreck, so I'm not sure how that affects him).

3. OCD

OCD Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    Bay Area
    I have a question, do Wyandotte's tend to be more skittish? Mine run when they see anyone, and they are always the ones to get everybody up in arms. My barred rocks are always the first ones to come and check me out and the EE's very curious. I just expected the Wyandottes to be way more mellow?

4. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Delawares...they are the bravest most friendly chickens I have ever had and they are nice to all the chickens and turkeys. They always come running when they see me try and untie my shoes which they then try to run off with my shoelaces. Some of them don't like to be held but they will climb all over me, take treats out of my fingers and they don't like it if I take care of the other chicks before talking to them....never had a breed like them. I've raised polish and they were so beautiful a little ditsy and the Roos were always nice the hens never were broody. I grew up with RIR and BRs I was scared of the Roos and the hens were well just hens lots of eggs and very seldom did they try and be broody either. Turkeys steal my heart too delicate babies but quite the personalities my oldest are a month and all I remember as a kid is that they died easy and were dumb.....Heritage breeds don't act like those big old lazy things of my memory so I'm hooked on Turkeys now...I like my Cuckoo Marans they are friendly but stately birds and Silkies are Silkies little fluff balls that make excellent broody's. I have some Partridge Rocks beautiful chickens mine don't have much personality a little flighty and I have some baby New Hampshires they remind me of Delawares they seem like the sturdy independent sort ask me again in a few months I'll know more. I didn't realize how much difference there is between breeds never thought much about it just chickens....I know better now

5. laughaha

laughaha Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Out of my adults my friendliest are the Black Australorps followed by Red Stars then Barred Rocks then Cuckoo Marans and WAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY behind that are the white leghorns, lol.

Bantams goes D'Uccles and then Cochins then the pair that I got cuz they were pretty but they are almost certainly mutts, then oegb's then the silver seabrights which are wild little things (just got them a month or so ago)

6. buffbuttercup

buffbuttercup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
    i have:
    brown leghorn
    partridge rock
    barred rock (roo)
    sicilian buttercup
    buff brahma
    light brahma and
    EE, all in the order of friendliness.

i think it has to do with a: individual birds and b: genes.
    i am new to the chicken world, but very keen to animal behavior in general. my leghorn, named kick-a*s, is VERY outgoing, even though she is small. same with carmella, the CB. they are CONSTANTLY starting trouble, in the way of escaping and hoarding treats. carm is the smallest but eats the MOST. she is skitty, but accepts pets if there are rewards. kick-a*s is sweet no matter what. and my partridge rock, peggy, is pretty darn lovable too. good luck 'love-a-fying' your flock. i think attention is key.

7. Sarahlzbthz

Sarahlzbthz New Egg

May 27, 2010
    Deer Park, WA
    I've had chickens for many years, and I'd have to say the sweetest most friendly chickens I've had (from the past), was a Road Island Red hen, and an Easter Egger hen. They were soooo sweet.. I've had others of the same breed that were nothing like them though... So it really depends on the bloodlines.... CURRENTLY, my most sweet/calm/friendly chickens (& my new FAV. breed), are a couple of Ameraucana pullets... One of them has the cutest little soft purr when I hold or pet her, or even if I just talk to her lol .....And what stands out in my mind as the most crazy and annoying chicken I've ever had, was a Cochin Bantam rooster. ......I also currently have some young Red Stars, Black Stars, Brit Reds, Buff Orpingtons, Silver Laced Wyandottes, and Silkies.... The least friendly are the Wyandottes, . The Brit Reds are ok, the Silkies are ok. Most of the silkies are pretty easy to handle, especially my blue hen....... and One of my Orpington pullets is pretty nice and calm. .. But none of them are as friendly (& holdable) as my Ameraucanas [​IMG]

OCD: I thought the Wyandottes would be more friendly too....I had some years ago, and they weren't friendly either.... I don't think I'll be getting anymore of those...

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Surprisingly my sweetest chickens are two white leghorns (out of four I have). They always want to be held and petted and will fall asleep in my hands or lap. Up next is an easter egger (only this one out of the three I have).

The rest of the chickens tolerate me and tolerate being touched with a few exceptions: My polish, brahma and andalusian hate my guts.

9. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    My Delawares are super friendly - come running whenever they see me, lap sit, let me pet them- even the roo will sit on my leg. Most of us on the Delaware thread say they are exceptionally friendly and curious by nature.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Delawares, Ameraucanas, Barred Rocks and some accidental BR crosses I have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by