1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

definitely a rooster has yellow balls inside after slaughter-NOT eggs

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by 2overeasy, Dec 22, 2011.

1. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    Okay, we slaughtered our rooster, Jack, a couple of weeks ago and put him in the freezer. Thawed him out yesterday and got him ready for crockpot today. Inside were the normal things: heart liver, gizzard. However, there were 2 yellow balls.
    Of course, the first thing I did was come to the forum to research. I typed it in search box and came up with this forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295427
    Everyone
    answering this person's question said they were undeveloped eggs.
    Fine, if my chicken was hen.
    But he was the 2+ yr old rooster of my flock. Crowing, breeding, tail plumage, protective rooster. No doubts.
    So. What are the little yellow balls?? [​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Well those are his testes or testicles. Normal! [​IMG]

3. 2overeasy

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    See, that makes sense. And, honestly, I never even considered that! I just know that from that other thread, the pics she showed of the little yellow balls looked exactly like mine. She bought the bird from a man who was, supposedly, culling hens past good laying time. So, of course, the assumption is that the slaughtered bird she bought was a hen - which makes eggs make sense. It is possible, of course, that since she didn't see the bird alive, she could have been sold a roo, despite what the guy told her.
    I just know that my bird was 100% rooster.
    As an aside, if they are testicles, are they edible? Can I feed them to my dogs, perhaps?

4. suntex01

suntex01 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2011
    Testicles are edible, just like Rocky Mountain Oysters.
    But from the testicles I've seen before, those look more like undeveloped eggs than testicles.

Testicles have an interesting texture and are quite expensive in other parts of the world.

Might be the age of your rooster but it should look like this:

http://tinyurl.com/7r6ovx9

or this http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/bd_chknutz.html

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Undeveloped eggs look like tiny yolks, which is exactly what they are. Testicles are a yellowy-tan color and not perfectly round, more kidney shaped is the only way I can think to describe them.

6. 2overeasy

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    [​IMG]

These are Jack's yellow balls. They look just like the pic posted in the thread I referenced. However, again, I know without a doubt that Jack was a rooster. And he's the only bird I slaughtered that day.

7. 2overeasy

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    Wow, thanks for the pics, Suntex. Mine definitely DON'T look like that. So why would Jack have little egg yolks?
    Here is a pic of Jack: [​IMG]

This is only the 3 chicken I've processed so I've sooo much to learn!

8. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Could your 'rooster' be a hen that has taken over as 'head roo', because you had no other dominant roo? I've heard a hen will act very roosterish (including crowing, and mounting other hens), if you don't have a roo. Those sure look like undeveloped eggs to me...

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Where did the other liver and heart in the picture come from? Those do look like eggs, definitely not testicles.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am new to chickens and have never slaughtered one, but as an R.N., those yellow things appear to be fat globules to me. Are they yellow all the way through if you cut them open, or could they be some other organ perhaps?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by