definitely not a rhode Island Red...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pinksky, Sep 11, 2011.

1. pinksky

pinksky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
    san francisco, ca
    Which is what they told me at the feed store when I bought this chicken as a chick. I know she is a mutt, but I'm curious to know what breeds she is possibly made up of. I originally thought she would lay a white egg because of her white ear lobes, but she surprised me with an olive green egg. Darker than any of my Easter Egger's green/blue eggs. Thinking maybe she's got some welsummer in her? What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. looks like a new hampshire red or RIR crossed with a wyandotte to me. The only thing wrong with that is the off colored egg. sure it is from her and sure it is not just a weird color of brown/tan?
    I have a couple that lay an odd color of tan that sometimes looks light green in certain light.

Comb is not right for a welsummer cross with any other type of red I do not believe. I am certain there is red in her

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Looks like an EE x Production Red to me.

When you cross an EE who lays green eggs with a brown egg layer, you get some pretty weird "greenish" eggs. They're not Olive Eggers but seem similar when looking at the eggs.

4. pinksky

pinksky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
    san francisco, ca
    Do you think she gets her white ear lobes from the EE side? Do EE's normally have white ear lobes? I can't tell on any of mine because of all the muff in the way!

5. Quote:possible....remember that an EE is itself a cross, so you can get pretty strange results. I am researching the possible comb outcomes of that cross also...may shed some more light

6. After more research...I think that ILLIA is def. correct. Easter egger and a one of the reds.

EE can get white lobes as well as that comb .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by