Definitely not hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Momto12, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Momto12

Momto12 New Egg

Jun 1, 2011
    Thought I was buying a 7 week old barred rock hen. Sophia has turned into a large, noisy, virile rooster of unknown parentage. He is now called Samson but I have no idea what kind of bird he is or what to do with him. You can tell by the attached photo he is black and white but around his neck is different and his tailfeathers have green and his back has a little rust. My neighbors are going to tar and feather me with his feathers if I don't find him a home.

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    no pic showing

3. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    You can't post images until you have 10 posts. Can you repost after 10 posts?

Quote:

4. Momto12

Momto12 New Egg

Jun 1, 2011
    I was lucky to figure out how to post. Now I have to spend another 30 minutes trying to figure out how to add a pic. Stay with me I'm desperate and frustrated to find him a home or at least identify what kind of bird he is. It has been 22 weeks and I have ZERO eggs.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  5. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I'd post a pic of mine too, but I need to rack up more posts too. I got an 8 week old BR hen, but it has become a rooster like you have discovered. He's now 13 weeks old, shiny green saddle feathers and all.He'll have to be slaughtered when he starts crowing.[​IMG] I know how you feel.

6. Momto12

Momto12 New Egg

Jun 1, 2011
    I can't slaughter him I don't have the heart. I might open the gate and let him wander off but the coyotes would get him for sure. That is assuming he would leave. He has it pretty good with food, water, girlfriend, misters etc. It was 106 degrees yesterday and he is still crowin' and humpin'.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Quote:I'm surprised he hasn't started already. Better sharpen your knives! [​IMG]

8. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Knife is sharp and ready. I butchered my first rooster a few weeks ago and it was disturbing for me. It's a necessary evil and a tool to teach my kids to respect where food comes from (not in styrofoam packages at Wal-mart). Don't know why he's still quiet. Any ideas?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by