deformation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EricH, Sep 13, 2010.

1. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    very new to incubating - are deformities pretty common? beak problems, navel problems? like a 1/100 thing? 1/20? 1/1000? imagine it would just depend on circumstance. just kind of curious about it.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I have hatched several batches of eggs in my homemade incubator and so far I have not had any problems [​IMG]

3. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    ive only seen a few... so thats good news!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Ummm...Eric, we're not allowed to swear! You might want to edit that post. Family friendly forum and all.

To answer the question, Deformities can be cause by the incubation process. I once had my temp set at 98.5 on a forced air and everything that hatched had problems. They hatched 3 days late and 1 didn't have thigh muscles so it couldn't stand, another got wry neck within 2 days of hatch....you get the idea. I adjusted the temp and the next hatch was perfect. (my eggs from the same breeding group so genetics were the same)

However, deformities can also be caused by genetics. Cross beak is one that can be passed through genetics. I've read that wry neck can be caused by poor nutrition in the parent flock. (wry tail in ducks can be passed through breeding)

Then there are things like genes you shouldn't cross. Like with frizzles and sizzles. Only 1 parent can carry the frizzle gene, the other can't.

5. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    I've had 3 hatches, and in 2 of those, I had one chick each that had leg issues. but, I am thinking it was a genetic issue. Now, with diff hens, I'm hoping not to see that anymore.

6. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Deformities are a part of incubating - try and make sure you have a god gene pool and that you maintain good temperatures inside your incubator.

7. sanchoman

sanchoman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Orlando, fl
    what do you do with the chicks that have leg problems?
    or wry neck?

8. sanchoman

sanchoman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Orlando, fl
    what do you do with the chicks that have leg problems?
    or wry neck?

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Leg problems, search for spraddle leg, wry neck need poly visol - found at drug stores in the baby section. Without iron.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Deformatiies are a part of LIFE, not really incubating. And most of us don't really know the gene pool the eggs are coming from. I have hatched several times and had one wry neck, and no other issues. Deformaties are not normal, IMHO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by