1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deformed Baby Chick graphic pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LauraSBale, Dec 7, 2009.

1. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

I had incubated some eggs, and i heard this one pipping for a couple days, and no signs on the shell of the chick trying to get out, so on the 3rd day i opend up the top of shell, no blood, and seen that the baby had a croked beak, the first thing i thought of was thats way it could pepp a the shell, so i got the chick out, and it looks like its brain was out.

was this a defect from fertalization, or during incubation or something else.

i just dont want to this to happen agian, if its something from incubating

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow...you did better than I would have taking those pictures. I had to scroll down quickly...too much for me. I know nothing about incubating, but sometimes those things just happen in the animal world. Sorry 'bout that little chick though... [​IMG]

3. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    [​IMG] Sorry for you and your chicky.

That is not an incubation problem. That is due to a miss-wiring issue within the chickys DNA. Think of it as a baby being born with a severe birth defect. Unless the mom drank or did drugs, its not her fault in how she carried the baby, it the incorrect sequencing of development.
    [​IMG]

4. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    I had something similar happen several years ago like that but the egg i opened the chick was fully formed but had no brain or skull.
    Nothing but a neck , beak and 2 eyes with a flesh covered indented hole where the brain and skull should have been.
    Yes i was amazed at this when it happened to me too.

I was told it was Genetic and to not hatch eggs from the chickens the egg came from there was one problem with that i collected the eggs from several chickens.
    Luckly after that i never had one like that again so if you know which chicken it came from you may not want to set eggs from them again.

Thanks so much for sharing this it's a great learning experience [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  5. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    I believe crossed beaks are a genetic defect, and this bird is a pretty extreme case of skull deformation. I really don't think this has anything to do with your incubation process at all.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I do not have any answers either. What breed of chick was it? (curious if it was a silkie type with vaulted skull)

7. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    [​IMG] I'll be thinking about you [​IMG]

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Thanks for posting, this what learning here is all about, I see so many informative things on BYC. Don't beat yourself up about it, these things sometimes happen. It's DNA mapping took a wrong turn, Sorry about your chick though.

AL

9. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:These eggs were not from any of my chicken, i had order them, it was Blue Plymouth Rock, the chick was still alive, but once i opened the egg with minute it died, thank goodness, i would have hated if it lived for hours or day.

the lady i got them from is very nice, and i gave this info, and she is taking care of eggs she sent me, and replaceing them with new eggs.

I wasnt even ask her to replace them, i just wanted to give her a heads up, and she offered to send me a new dz, to try again.

10. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    So sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by