Deformed bantam chick..what happened

ledbythelamb

Chirping
May 28, 2014
So a little bantam English Game hen hid some eggs and incubated them. I found them the day before hatch started and candled them. Out of five, three were fertile. Two babies hatched yesterday and when I checked this morning the last egg was chirping loudly and rocking! I expected a baby tonight but when I checked the egg had no more sound or movement. I candles and water tested and nothing, so I eggtopsied. I was very shocked to discover the facial deformity. Lower beak protruded and upper beak was shrunken. Mouth could not open all the way and missing an eyeball. Although it broke into the air sac, no way it could have pipped. I've only been in the chicken hobby for 5 years and I've never seen a deformity. Anyone know what caused this? The other two chicks are normal and healthy.

Attachments

• 20190622_225911.jpg
    20190622_225911.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20190622_230110.jpg
    20190622_230110.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190622_230016.jpg
    20190622_230016.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 22
So a little bantam English Game hen hid some eggs and incubated them. I found them the day before hatch started and candled them. Out of five, three were fertile. Two babies hatched yesterday and when I checked this morning the last egg was chirping loudly and rocking! I expected a baby tonight but when I checked the egg had no more sound or movement. I candles and water tested and nothing, so I eggtopsied. I was very shocked to discover the facial deformity. Lower beak protruded and upper beak was shrunken. Mouth could not open all the way and missing an eyeball. Although it broke into the air sac, no way it could have pipped. I've only been in the chicken hobby for 5 years and I've never seen a deformity. Anyone know what caused this? The other two chicks are normal and healthy.
Poor little guy, sounds like he tried.

I'm really sorry about your chick. I just want to say Thank You for posting this though. Not everything is perfect and this will help others, including myself if someone else comes across this with their own flock. :)

that is sad...so sorry

Back
Top Bottom