1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

deformed beak in 3-week-old?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hensnchix, Jun 12, 2007.

1. hensnchix

hensnchix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2007
    Hello. One of our five chicks appears to have a beak problem. The top part of the beak and the bottom part of the beak don't quite match--I think the bottom is angled slightly off to the side. Is there a name for this? And is it a problem? She seems to be eating and drinking ok, but the problem also seems to be getting worse--e.g., this afternoon I noticed her sort of hitting her beak on the ground (not pecking), as if to knock it back in place.

2. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    I had this same issue with a mottled houdan. It got progressively worse over just a few weeks. The top part was normal, the bottom was severely crossed. If you search crooked or crossed beak you'll come up with a few posts. Mine lived about five weeks but then went downhill fast. I assume from lack of nutrition. She wouldn't let me hand feed her no matter what I tried... [​IMG]

I think there is someone on the board though that has raised one successfully.

3. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I have a 11 week old Araucana Bantam that has a crooked beak. She has been doing just fine. She eats and drinks just fine, but has had to figure out new ways to do it. She is very happy and healthy and is the same size as her siblings. Her beak is too long on the bottom, and curves too much on the top, so there is a huge gap. Here is a couple pics of my girl, aptly named Angel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I think its genetic & hereditary but then I read something about a riboflavin or manganese deficiency in hatching eggs. not sure if that helped maybe someone else will know something more.

5. hensnchix

hensnchix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2007
    Thanks all, for replying. I searched for "crossed beak" on this site and found lots of posts--very helpful. It looks like sometimes the chicks make it and sometimes they don't. And some people get their crossed beak hens trimmed at a bird vet. (One woman said this only costs $5.00, which is a relief.) I'll keep an eye on little "Buff" (short for Buffle Huff, which used to be Huffle Puff...)--she is, of course, one of my favorites!

There are good pictures here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2127.

Susan
    posting
    for Little Miss Buff

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by