Deformed beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Robinmainzer, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Robinmainzer

Robinmainzer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2010
    I have a aracuna pullet that is almost 5 months old. Her beak is crossed and very long. I was wonder if I could trim her beak to make it easier for her to eat.

2. mysweetgypsy

mysweetgypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I had an EE with the same condition. Honestly I wish we had culled her in the beginning. Terrible I know, but in the end she basically starved to death. I was making special meals for her, trimming her beak. In the end nothing really worked, it just prolonged the inevitable. She had a few good months, and then 3 days of misery. I felt awful!!!

But specifically, YES, trim her beak. I used to trim just the top, mine used the lower portion like a shovel, so I left it longer. Good luck, I hope yours fairs better [​IMG]

3. Robinmainzer

Nov 8, 2010
    What did you use to trim her beak?

4. mysweetgypsy

mysweetgypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Cat nail trimmers. The little ones that look kind of like scissors, except the ends are shaped with a space in the middle (when open) for the nail. Not dog nail trimmers, too big. Or you could use people toe nail trimmers. I just think the kitty ones were easier to use because you can see really well what you're cutting. Good luck [​IMG]

5. Robinmainzer

Nov 8, 2010
    Thank you !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by